Got the laptop + desktop... which wireless router?

Jeecie 12:40 31 Jan 2007

Hi... following on from my other thread in "Networking"
click here

I've ordered a new laptop/notebook. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow (it's the Acer Aspire 9301AWSMi Laptop - has wireless thingey inside it already).

I'm opting to replace my current router with a wireless router - to be plugged into my desktop and then connect the laptop wirelessly to it. (So I don't have to have the desktop machine on to get on the internet on the laptop.)

We want to put the desktop upstairs with the broadband going to this PC as the main connection.

The idea is that we free up space in our tiny house and have a laptop downstairs. We thought we could make the laptop connect to the broadband wirelessly - that way I could do my shopping & browse the web with it on the sofa... and my other half wouldn't become an internet widower (otherwise he'll be sitting downstairs watching the telly on his own!).

So...... all I need now is to buy myself a wireles router - any suggestions or recommendations around the £50 mark would be gratefully received!! (I'm on a BT Broadband connection if that affects the choice of router-models.) We've only got a 2-up, 2-down house so distance shouldn't be a challenge (I hope!).

Thanks loads
Jeecie :)

wjrt 14:29 31 Jan 2007
  Spark6 15:17 31 Jan 2007

I have the same set-up you intend to have and I can vouch for the Netgear DG834GUK recommended by wjrt. Mine came from Novatech last week, £55.23 inc VAT, and was quite straightforward to set up.

Jeecie 16:01 31 Jan 2007

Thanks for the swift reply guys... will that model (Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch) work with my 6+y ears old desktop PC? I don't have Ethernet connection on that machine only some USB 1.1 ports.

wjrt 16:50 31 Jan 2007

initial set up usually recommends using ethernet connection ie cable and then set up the wireless operation if laptop has ethernet use that for initial set up and then set up latop for wireless and use something like this usb wireless adapter for desktop and use it wirelessly as well. encryption recommended is preferably WPA
click here

fitshase 22:39 31 Jan 2007

Jeecie,

I would also recommend the Netgear DG834G wireless router (the same one I have). As for connections, for the price of a PCI network card (you mentioned that you had a space PCI slot), you would be better off getting a network card for the desktop. This is better for setting the router up, diagnosing any problems and a simpler connection to the router.

Network Card:-
click here

Router:-
click here

Alternatively, if you don't want to go down the route of a PCI network card, see if you can get a bundle with the router and USB:-

click here

Strawballs 22:42 31 Jan 2007

If you wish to connect your desktop by wire and dont have Lan you could get ethernet PCI card (easy to install) or one of these click here

tullie 22:47 31 Jan 2007

Just as long as you dont expect to sit with it on your lap on sofa for hours,the batteries in laptops are in general rubish,some only last an hour

Jeecie 10:15 01 Feb 2007

I like Strawballs idea of adding in an Ethernet PCI card to my machine as I would prefer to connect my [old] desktop PC to the router via cable, and then have my new laptop connect to the internet wirelessly.

Am I right in thinking an advantage of installing an Ethernet PCI card is that I can then plug in other devices... like Video-cameras (I want to buy one later this year for my honeymoon!!) which would give me faster times when transfering video-files fro the camera into the PC for editing?

My machine is quite old (bought Nov 2000 - so it's just over 6 years old) the Motherboard is GA-6VX7-4X click here ... will it cope with an Ethernet connection? I have 733 MHz Pentium 3 Processor, 768 MB of RAM and I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with all the updates made regularly... I'll have to have a check inside, but I think I've got a spare PCI slot still (this mobo comes with 5 slots) 1-56K dial up modem, 1-USB expansion card, I think my Soundblaster Sound-card takes up another, I think my GeForce2 Graphics card is in the AGP slot (but cannot remember!!).

But, maybe if I get the network card click here (as per fithase's post) & upgraded to Win XP Pro I could then connect to my employer's network... and work from home on some days? (All my employers office-based PCs have network cards inside them... as do all the laptops for our workers who drive around the countryside to meetings).

fitshase 13:51 01 Feb 2007

Network card can't be used for video transfer - that is normally USB2.0 or Firewire.

The only advantage of the Ethernet PCI is to get a better and more stable connection to your router and the internet.

Jeecie 17:42 01 Feb 2007

fitshase... okay perhaps I'm better looking at the USB adapter thingey... can someone kindly explain to me in words of 1-syllable please (as I'm a newbie to the world of wireless wonders) how the USB adapter works… obviously it plugs into a USB port somewhere. My old PC (desktop) has USB 1.1, the laptop will be USB 2 I imagine? Which one does the USB dongle plug into.. is it the desktop please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?