Google Accounts

PalaeoBill 15:25 14 Sep 2008

This morning I was searching for automatic (self winding) watches, using the Google search engine. Within minutes of placing the search I received an email trying to sell me an Orion Pena Submariner self winding watch.
I find it very hard to believe that is could be a coincidence. The specific e-mail adress was one that I had recently used to set up a Google Account, to use Google Checkout, to pay for some things that my wife wanted. I've never had spam on that e-mail address before and it is very rarely used.
I have scoured Google's Privacy Policy and can find nothing that would suggest they do anything like this with your personal detail. Has anyone else has such potentially targeted e-mails?

spuds 16:30 14 Sep 2008

I use one or two websites on a regular basis using the Google facility for payment. Never had any spam or suspicious emails from Google, just the usual confirmation email that everything is in order.

For peace of mind. Why not drop Google an email and see what's their response!.

PalaeoBill 17:46 14 Sep 2008

Thanks supds. Did that.
Thought that I would post here to see if anyone else had suspisions or if I was just paranoid.

PalaeoBill 17:47 14 Sep 2008

or suspicions even. Sorry.

interzone55 15:10 15 Sep 2008

I get loads of spam trying to sell me "finest genuine imitation watches", along with the usual male enhancements.

I don't think it's anything to do with Google. in fact I'm certain it's nothing to do with them as all the spam is blocked by their excellent junk mail software...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie