Good Wireless Kit? Recommendations please...

GibsonSt19 20:16 01 Dec 2004

Evening, for Christmas, I think my lovely qife could provide lots of joy by purchasing a wireless setup for me.

I'm looking to get 2 PC's and an XBOX all setup wirelessly and wondered whether some kind soul could advise what bits It's need.

From what I understand I need...

* 2x Wireless PCI cards for the PC's.
* Some form of wireless thing for the XBOX, not a clue what though.
* Wireless Router.

Anything else?

Any recommendations on Brand/model?

Thanks lots,

Bob Bob™ 20:42 01 Dec 2004
  Big Spring 21:48 01 Dec 2004

I have the Netgear DG834G V2 wireless router & WD311 PCI adapter installed on SP2. Fast - 54mbps, easy setup, good range, provides added protection off the bat with WPA encryption and firewall. Looks good too!

GibsonSt19 21:53 01 Dec 2004

Was I right with the items required though?

Big Spring 22:17 01 Dec 2004

You only need one PCI card (laptop) or one USB/PCI adapter (PC) installed. You can connect your 2nd PC and xbox direct to the router. You will also need the xbox live starter kit to get going! This contains the software and account setup info needed for online gaming.

GibsonSt19 23:07 01 Dec 2004

Hmmm, I already have XBOX live and have been using it with a wired router, however I want to go wireless.

In this case, why would I only need 1 wireless PCI card when I have two PCs?

TomJerry 23:42 01 Dec 2004

some wireless access point/router can be used as a wireless client, i.e. you plug xbox to this client which communicate with anoter wireless router. I am in favour of D-link product.

Big Spring 23:44 01 Dec 2004

PC1 is connected to the wireless router by cat5 cable and RJ45 connector. PC2 is connected via the wireless adapter. There's nothing stopping you from having two wireless adapters, but some people, including myself, prefer to have one hardwired and the other wireless, mainly for speed issues and cost! I have an xbox but I have no experience of xbox live, so my knowledge is limited. Ensure that your ISP can deliver the service in the first place, if so, you may need to configure the router's firewall for the xbox to access the xbox live service.

Big Spring 23:49 01 Dec 2004

Sorry, I mis-understood, I didn't realise that you're already using xbox live!

GibsonSt19 23:51 01 Dec 2004

My ISP is ndo.com, and they're doing a good job thus far :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?