Good sound quality camcorder for gigs?

rickf 10:13 10 Jan 2008

Hi All,
I am looking for a dvd camcorder which has good sound quality recording for gigs. One I have records video fine but the sound quality is dismal. Any suggestions from your experience?
Thanks

scotty 13:48 10 Jan 2008

I suspect that it is the internal microphone that is giving the poor sound quality. Some camcorders have an input for an external microphone. Microphones can be fitted to an accessories shoe.

Try these links:

click here

click here

rickf 13:58 10 Jan 2008

thanks scotty. will give that a try.

project 90 23:30 13 Jan 2008

yh i done that recorded a gig on my camcorder and when i listened back to it it was all just muffles u could only really hear the base line.

just wondering have you got permission to be recording at a gig? i certainly didnt and the kind security gaurd made me turn it off and kept an eye on me for the remainder of the gig.

what i did find funny was she never said anything to the ppl with the fones in the air even though it says no fones or any recording device :)

rickf 08:29 14 Jan 2008

Hi project,
I recorded a pub gig and that's more relaxed I think. Can't do it at an official concert. I am going to try out the Maplin external mic today and see how it goes. Will feedback.

interzone55 15:15 14 Jan 2008

Muffled sound is all part of the bootleg experience.

I remember a record shop down by Manchester Uni - Pandemonium Records.

He used to have hundreds of bootleg gig tapes, and banks of cassette decks for duplication, some where appalling quality, but occasionally you would find one that had been taped from the mixing desk and sounded almost studio quality.

As for your pub gigs, do as scotty says and get an external mic, or even better, get a recording from the desk & dub it onto the video later.

rickf 21:26 14 Jan 2008

Hi All,
Bought and tried out the external mic and it works a treat recording live guitar at home and it sounds great. Will test it in a real gig envirinment this wk and see how it copes with multiple sound inputs. Cheers

rickf 21:27 14 Jan 2008

Hi All,
Bought and tried out the external mic and it works a treat recording live guitar at home and it sounds great. Will test it in a real gig envirinment this wk and see how it copes with multiple sound inputs. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?