Good photo transparency flatbed scanner required

Goggz 10:12 02 Nov 2003

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new scanner to replace my crappy Mustek 600.

Spec must include ability to scan photographic slides at high resolution *without* interpolation. I have loads of old Kodachromes I want to transfer to the computer and as you oldies ;O) out there know it's a very high resolution film so I want to be able to capture as much detail as possible from them.

I've seen lots of scanners in PC World etc that have a slide scanning capacity but there is no real info about how effectively they do this.

One I am looking at is the new HP Scanjet 4600 - the seethrough design looks very nifty. If you have one of these please tell me how you're getting on with it.

However, as the 4600's so new I'd be very grateful to hear of your experiences with any slide capable scanner.

Cheers, Goggz

Stuartli 10:36 02 Nov 2003

Sorry, but if you want to scan negatives, transparencies etc (I presume you are referring to 35mm) then you will need a dedicated film scanner.

Flatbed scanners just don't have the ease of use or, far more importantly, the high resolution capabilities of a film scanner.

There are numerous threads on this subject in both HelpRoom and Consumerwatch, so it's worth a search as numerous film scanners from around ?130 are detailed.

Goggz 10:40 02 Nov 2003

.. will do some investigating.

BTW I just found the Canoscan LiDE 80 review - looks interesting too.

Keep 'em coming!

CHeers, Goggz

pj123 13:08 02 Nov 2003

Jessops have a dedicated film/slide scanner for about ?130. Primefilm 1800U. I have one and it is brilliant. Go to click here and have a look.

prima12 17:08 02 Nov 2003

Hi, The Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner will do positive and negative 35mm slides, as well as being an ordinary scanner. I have one and it works well on 30 year old colour slides. P.

prima12 17:09 02 Nov 2003

Reference previous, it is USB 2.0 though

bfoc 20:37 02 Nov 2003

Both an Epson Perfection Flatbed and a dedicated film scanner.

The Epson Perfection produces reasonable results, but not as good as the Film Scanner.

Also if you are going to do batches of slides/negatives, a film scanner can save time over a flatbed.

It really does depend on what you want to do with the resultant ouput. If you will only want to display on-screen or make a 7X5 print, then a flatbed may be fine. If, on the other hand, you want to do A4+, and/or scan lots of negatives/slides then you might be best looking at a dedicated film scanner.

Goggz 00:22 03 Nov 2003

... thanks everyone.

I have now been looking at film scanners and I think I'm going to go down that route and keep my crappy old Mustek for the paperwork.

Being a bit slow, I've only just realised that I could scan all my negatives as well as my Kodachromes with a film scanner. Bonus or what! No sitting in front of the Mustek trying to get half decent scans when I can scan the original negs instead at a much higher resolution.

It's been interesting to find out what's available too and there are a few good websites out there that are worth a look.

Tony Sleep has a detailed look at some older film scanners on click here

that cuts through all the manufacturers blurb and exposes what really can go on inside those boxes. Some very interesting facts emerged and it's clear now that you don't always get what you pay for, even if you spend a lot of money!

So I'm going for the Minolta DiMAGE 5400. There's a good review on click here by Mike Nunan if anyone's interested and at ?500 notes or so it's a reasonably priced option, but very effective.

Thx again for your help.

Cheers, Goggz

Stuartli 08:46 03 Nov 2003

Morgan Computers often sells Minolta film scanners at reasonable prices:

click here

try click here
I use the 8920 a little bit bulky but very well reviewed by pcadvisor months ago does old negative scans & Kodak I have one & use it just updated the software to paperport 9. You must note that paperport has to be transferred to your pics in a different format eg jpeg

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?