Is this a good PC?

Hopo_UK 20:17 18 Nov 2009

I should be receiving my order from DinoPC tomorrow, and was wondering about your opinions on these specs:

PRODUCT 20-102 Intel Core 2 Duo Package
CPU: Intel® Core 2 Duo E7500
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM (Intel G31 chipset, Included onboard video)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 800mhz (2x 2GB)
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio Included
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Software: Nero and PowerDVD
Peripherals: Keyboard, mouse and speakers Monitors: 19' Widescreen LCD Included
PSU: 700W EZCool Tornado
Case: EZCool H601
Priority turnaround: Dispatched in 2 working day £20.00
Warranty: 3 Year Bronze Warranty Included

Bought for £591

MAT ALAN 21:06 18 Nov 2009

Bit late to make an opinion if you have already bought it...

The idea would be to get some constructive advice about your chosen system beforehand so you have the option to change your mind about particular components.
I only hope you DO NOT want to play high end games cos your VGA card is a bit of a donkey...

The 9500 series are really not the best..

OTT_Buzzard 22:36 18 Nov 2009

A lot depends on the make and model of monitor - if it's a very good model and (as MAT ALAN has said) you don't play graphics stressing games, then you might be ok.

donki 23:39 18 Nov 2009

Ummmmm as has been said depends what u want it for, its a good processor. 4 GB of RAM is about what is needed for WIN 7 64bit. The GFX card is entry level. The MB is a basic unit which wont take any more then 4GB of RAM (this is the biggest downfall as far as future proofing goes. The monitor could be anything. Good base machine for pretty much anything but needs an upgrade in GFX card and possibly monitor if you are wanting to play games

Hopo_UK 00:11 19 Nov 2009

It shows how far behind I now am in computer tech knowledge, which wasn't much to begin with. I thought that a 1GB Geforce graphics card would be pretty good. Mind you, I haven't bought anything PC wise in about 6 years, so that explains it.

So for £591, is that good? I know that some PC's sell for 2k and above. Oh, and I used to play Halo online, but the old PC runs poorly, compared to how it did 2 or 3 years ago, so no more Halo. Would those specs be OK for Halo 2?

And yes, I know that I could reformat the HD to make it run quicker, but it is 6 years old after all.

mrwoowoo 00:24 19 Nov 2009

Yes, that graphics card and the system in general will be fine for Halo 2 at good settings.
Believe it or not you can even play crysis or modern warfare 2 on it. You would have to have the settings set on the low side though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?