Good News for BT Customers?

oresome 21:39 30 Jul 2006

From August 1st 2006, Ofcom will end the formal controls on the cost of phone line rentals and calls from BT. This will leave all phone companies, including BT, free to set their own retail prices for consumers.

Stuartli 21:47 30 Jul 2006

It's been widely advertised for a week or so now in national newspapers.

To be honest Anytime phone charges these days, for a fixed monthly payment, are incredibly cheap - in fact my line rental is always several times higher than the phone charges...:-)

spuds 22:33 30 Jul 2006

Hope it doesn't turn out, like other utility services (ie gas,water and electricity!).

Forum Editor 22:39 30 Jul 2006

BT could easily afford to give us all free local anytime calling on domestic lines. The statutory controls have prevented them from doing this up to now, but who knows?

oresome 14:19 31 Jul 2006

"BT’s 16 million customers will be offered a 25p discount to their monthly line rental, if they opt to receive bills online."

I'm contemplating what to spend the 25p on.

Stuartli 14:26 31 Jul 2006

Just been on the news that BT is to cut certains services by a third.

See:

click here

€dstowe 14:27 31 Jul 2006

I receive my home phone bills on line, been like that over a year. I get a paper one as well which I don't want but they don't stop sending it.

oresome 14:39 31 Jul 2006

I think on the last bill they sent me, I had to opt in to continue receiving future bills by post.

By default, it will be on-line only.

I only pay line rental to BT, but they assure me on every bill that there is no need to modify my payment plan...........despite not making a phone call with them for several months and accruing credit in the meantime.

anskyber 18:25 31 Jul 2006

I have just changed from BT Option one to Option three. The recent price reductions mentioned above together with the flexibility of having "free" local and national calls for up to one hour 24/7 makes the BT offer very attractive given the analysis of my call making.

oresome 20:35 31 Jul 2006

Option 1 customers need to be aware that the tariff changes could mean higher bills for them.

Per second billing is being replaced with per minute and the minimum call charge is being replaced with a set up fee of 3p added to every call.

Stuartli 23:34 31 Jul 2006

What you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts - always been the case with BT,,,:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?