Good ISP needed

jarani 21:13 25 Feb 2007

We all seem to have problems with ISPs -

I need a change and would welcome a discussion on the best experience ISP for normal average use of the websites - in my case - no games or big downloads needed - jarani

Do you live in a cable area? I've been with Telewest (now Virgin Media) for years and service has been nothing short of excellent. The main advantage you will find with cable over all other ISPs is that you are not affected by how far away you are from the exchange, the line quality or the contention ratio. Also if you do have a problem they cannot send you on a run-around by passing the blame onto BT who would then normally pass the blame back to the ISP!

The cable companies are known for rolling out speed upgrades on a fairly regular basis and I would expect another one in the not too distant future.

shizzy 22:20 25 Feb 2007

Zen click here
English ISP with no software to install. Bit dearer than some but usually answer phones in minutes and emails in hours not days.

anskyber 22:23 25 Feb 2007

Yes, I agree about Zen. These days you tend to pay for what you get, I have found the Zen customer care to be first rate and the technical people very knowledgeable. They don't just work from a pre prepared answer sheet.

silverous 13:10 26 Feb 2007

I agree re: Zen also. Service and Support is exceptional and, in my opinion, worth that bit extra.

961 14:07 26 Feb 2007

Consider Madasafish/Freenetname

Good service. Up to 8Mbps. £17.99 pm after initial discounts

Been there 4 yrs. Wouldn't change

terryf 14:28 26 Feb 2007

Try Eclipse, small but beautiful

Gizmo2005 18:37 26 Feb 2007

I agree I am with Eclipse and would recommend them, just one thing it’s a bit of a pain setting up the e-mail with Eclipse.
But good speeds, I have been with them since September, so far so good, never had to contact technical support so I couldn’t comment on that aspect of the service .

Mr Mistoffelees 18:57 26 Feb 2007

BT Broadband may not be the cheapest but, I am a long way from being the only one happy to pay more for a rock solid service.

aca 19:26 26 Feb 2007

Been with Freedom2Surf for a year. Faultless connection and service. Excellent.

jarani 20:42 26 Feb 2007

Hi guys - many thanks for your comments - will need to decide in the next few days - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?