* Good, Cheap Student Printer?

lukealexander 20:38 24 Sep 2006

I just started university, and need a decent colour printer to print out lecture notes, reports, essays and the odd photo (Most of my pictures go through photobox.co.uk). Can't take up too much space either!

My budget is around £50, and I can buy online if it is worthwhile. Thanks a lot!

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:40 24 Sep 2006

Try any Epson around that price and use choicestationery for the refills at an eighth of the cost.

G

lukealexander 20:43 24 Sep 2006

I *think* I know to steer clear of Lexmark, but I saw decent things about HP & Canon. Can you recommend any specfic models... or are they all much-of-a-muchness?

STREETWORK 20:46 24 Sep 2006

Epson are cheap to buy and then use good compatible cartridges, buy mine from Staples or Tescos

lisa02 20:51 24 Sep 2006
  lukealexander 20:51 24 Sep 2006

Okay, quick search found these - can any of you tell me which is the best to get?

Epson D78
click here
HP F380 (All in One)
click here
Epson D88 Plus
click here

Are All-in-Ones at this price any good or should I avoid?

lukealexander 20:52 24 Sep 2006

Or indeed, lisa02's choice lol...

LABMAN 11:34 25 Sep 2006

I use an Epson C86 at work and on the strength of its relaibility and cheap compatible cartridges bought a D88 for use at home, it's connecetd to my sons pc and works great, compatabile cartridges are only £19 for two full sets from the majority of my local PC stores in Glasgow.

amonra 14:01 25 Sep 2006

Do you really need colour for most of your work ?
Notes, essays and reports are all B+W, so why not think about a cheap laser printer ? Comet and a few other retailers were selling Samsung ML 1610 printers for about £40:00 a very good price for a tidy printer, and a LOT cheaper on refills ! Any colour printing, take it to Jessops or Boots etc.

DSB 15:31 25 Sep 2006

I do tend to agree with amonra. I used to have a HP laserjet printer & although it wasn't cheap, the cartridge lasted for ages. Was really sad when it eventually gave up on me. I replaced it with a coloured injet printer but use colour only occasionally. Have to buy black cartidges very frequently & it works out expensive - I'm seriously thinking of going back to a cheap B & W laser.

DSB

lukealexander 22:38 25 Sep 2006

The thing about colour is that I am worried I would miss it if it weren't available. I have actually read about that Samsung Laser before, but it is nice to know if I need colour it is available.

What kind of cost are you looking at to replace the toner cartridge in that printer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?