General advice on tablets please

steve263000 17:46 25 Aug 2013

HI all, I am thinking of eventually getting a tablet. I am not interested in the iPad as I think it is overpriced and will have just to many things that I will not use.

I have a budget of somewhere near £200 and the 7” tablets all look a little small. Is there a decent 9" or 10” tablet out there to look at?

Android system would be fine, and if possible I would like a slot that can take a memory card. I would like to take photos with my camera and transfer them over for uploading to Picasa and Facebook etc.

Also if it not asking to much perhaps a camera and video function?

I am going on a major holiday early next year and would like to upload stuff for friends and family to view. I have looked at the Kindle Fire but the 7” screen just looks cramped.

Any suggestions or should I wait a bit until the Xmas stuff comes out?

Woolwell 20:34 25 Aug 2013

A little while back and I would have said that you would need to up your budget to get a decent tablet but that is not the case now. However getting a 9 or 10 inch one at that price is going to be more difficult. Slightly over £200 is John Lewis Samsung Tab 2.

IMO an iPad is still the best tablet but at a price.

Woolwell 20:36 25 Aug 2013

For a tablet you may need an adaptor to take a standard camera sd card.

steve263000 08:20 26 Aug 2013

Thanks for that advice. I had not seen the Samsung before and it seems to have all I need. There are plenty more out there to look at, but that one is a definite looker.

spuds 13:49 26 Aug 2013

The only suggestion that I can give, is look at the 'higher' and well known end of the market, with a good customer service attached. The Samsung suggested by Woolwell, is a good example worth considering and investing in.

I have purchased a tablet from the many cheaper import ranges, and to be totally honest, expect problems, especially short battery life. warranties can be another problem, when things go wrong with the cheaper items that are being sold for about £50.00.

BT 17:32 26 Aug 2013

Kindle Fire - No Camera - not the easiest tablet and somewhat limited in that it is tied to Amazon stuff in the main.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0 which has 2 cameras and takes a Micro SD card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros