Gateway 650 celebrates a six year birthday!

livewire 19:59 27 Jun 2004

Today my six year old Gateway 650mhz PC celebrates its birthday wihout ANY system failures since its first boot-up!

This system has survived an upgrade to Windows XP while retaining its old hardware since Windows 98.

Surprised? I am! I have seen newer system fail in months, none seem to compare to the reliabillity of my Gateway 650! 6 years and its still going strong! Its such a shame that Gateway left the UK, the computer they were the most reliable I had ever seen.

Hats of Gateway I look forward to another crashless year with you!

:)

Mister Splendid 20:42 27 Jun 2004

My old Gateway Performance 450 circa September99 now lives with a friend. It has had extra ram, a faster graphics card and the Gateway monitor began to look a bit sad and has been replaced. But it is stable (on Windows ME) and has never had a hardware failure. Mind you though it seemed fast in 99, now, even with more ram, it seems painfully slow compared to my present system (self built and also stable running Windows XP Pro).

oresome 19:21 30 Jun 2004

It would be interesting to hear members views on their expected life of consumer products, both on a reliability and obsolescent perspective. We have become accustomed to computers becoming obsolete quickly, but presumably this will flatten out at some stage and 6 years is not a particularly long time for electronics to last.

david.h 20:49 30 Jun 2004

i too still have my gateway pentium III, 500. still going strong had to fit a new sound card and speakers for xp upgrade to work, also has a new hard drive + extra RAM otherwise still going strong.

in its time it was a good supplier had good showrooms and good freephone customer support.

Gaz 25 03:32 01 Jul 2004

click here

Had a gateway server lol, still running :-o

But not as fast as new systems though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?