gaming laptop for £500 ?!

john the scone 12:41 08 Mar 2008

hi there, been searching eveywhere for a laptop with a 2.0ghz core 2 duo processor, 2gb ram and a dedicated graphics card. best prices i can get is about £600 to £700. has anyone seen any machines or deals out there that might be any good. have seen deals with intergrated graphics but heard these are not much good for playing games. dont expect top of the range cards but something that could play world of warcraft , command and conquer 3 etc. any help much appreciated. could maybe stretch budget a little if needed but not by hundreds! thanks

Totally-braindead 15:58 08 Mar 2008

For £500 I personally don't think you have much of a chance. Sorry but thats my opinion. And with laptops graphics it might not work see the FAQs for C&C as an example click here

wee eddie 16:31 08 Mar 2008

If you compare the "Frame Rates", of even a Dedicated Gaming Laptop, to those of a PC, they're pathetic.

citadel 17:01 08 Mar 2008

just had a look at rock and the laptops that I consider good enough for gaming cost nearly 2 grand.

GaT7 00:07 09 Mar 2008

If you're only playing WoW & C&C (or similar games graphics-wise), a 8600M GT may be the least you could go for & get for your budget. click here for 8600M GT & C&C info. However, I think a 8600M + WoW + Vista don't go very well click here.

Couple of Dells to consider (both with a 8600M GT & XP Pro):

* Dell Vostro 1500 15.4" click here = £528 configured to: T8300 / XP Pro / 1-yr Basic warranty / 3Gb RAM / 250Gb / 8600M GT / DVD-RW / 2mp integrated camera
* Dell Vostro 1700 17" click here = £563 configured to: T8100 / XP Pro / 1-yr Basic warranty / 2Gb RAM / 250Gb / 8600M GT / DVD-RW

If you go through Quidco click here you could get £22-24 cashback.

You can add 2Gb RAM to the Vostro 1700 for £30 click here. G

GaT7 00:50 09 Mar 2008

Sorry, use this link for the Vostro 1500 click here.

The 2Gb additional RAM for the Vostro 1700, increases total to 3Gb. The 1Gb module that it replaces can be sold to recover something. G

john the scone 09:35 09 Mar 2008

thanks for the responses. it seems most games have a disclaimer for their games not working with laptop graphics cards. wonder why they wont commit? it seems i will have to shell out a bit more than i planned but i hope that with the newer T8*** and T9*** processors it will make it cheaper to get a laptop with a T7***. thanks for the help.

Totally-braindead 16:01 09 Mar 2008

I did see an advert today for a laptop from PC World with a dedicated graphics card and it was an ASUS for £549, I think this was it click here now I think it was advertised as being perfect for gaming and to be perfectly honest I would dispute that as the graphics is only a 2400 but its near the £500 mark. And would play quite a few games.

citadel 16:28 09 Mar 2008

notebookcheck.net has the listings, benchmarks and reviews for mobile graphics cards.

john the scone 23:34 09 Mar 2008

thanks for that info, just been looking at that asus from pc world and it seems ok. just a bit worried by the 1.6ghz processor. i know beggars cant be choosers but would i see much difference in performance between that one and a 2.0ghz processor? cos i know the price shoots way up. think card would be fine, just wish it came with xp as dont fancy vista and it seems not too long to wait for the new 7 operating system.

Totally-braindead 16:19 10 Mar 2008

I know Novatech still do XP laptops and Dell were doing it but I have no idea if its still an option.
If you did get an XP laptop it would run ok with less memory and a lower spec processor. In my opinion Vista won't it needs a lot of power.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?