Gaming computer, advice required.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:10 16 Nov 2007

One of my friends wants to buy a gaming computer for her 14yo son and was going to shell out £1400 for a Dell. I know naff all about gaming and although I really rate Dell, I think that they are a bit lacking in the gaming value dept...as is PCW. So, following the recommendations here, I have had a look at Cougar click here have 'chosen' a system for considerably less than the Dell one and one that appears to be better value........

AMD Dual Core X2 4800 AM2 64,
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800,
300GB SATA Hard Drive,
160GB Secondary SATA HDD,
X-Discovery Black,
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade,
640Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10,
AM2 - MSI K9N-Neo-F DDR800x4 non intergrated,
2 x 18X DVD+/-RW (Samsung),
19 Inch (DVI) AMW TFT widescreen X1910WDS, Microsoft remote keyboard & mouse wireless 3000, AMD Dual Core X2 4800 AM2 64,
300GB SATA Hard Drive,
160GB Secondary SATA HDD,
X-Discovery Black,
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade, 640Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10,
AM2 - MSI K9N-Neo-F DDR800x4 non intergrated,
19 Inch (DVI) AMW TFT widescreen X1910WDS, Microsoft remote keyboard & mouse wireless 3000, Creative Sound Blaster Live 7.1 Sound Card,
Trust SP-3800D Speakers,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM),
2 Year Labour Warranty Upgrade, Free Carriage

So, the question is, are there any experts out there that can suggest a better spec or better components from Cougars' option list as her son wants to play games on the rig. The price of this lot is about £950 and I would like to keep it around that price.
G

ICF 16:46 16 Nov 2007

This is my choice
Gamers Intel Core 2 Duo 8800
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz 4Mb Cache,
300GB SATA Hard Drive,
200GB Secondary SATA HDD,
X-Discovery Black,
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade,
320Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10,
C2E - ASUS P5N-E SLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI (Dual Graphics),
19 Inch (DVI) AMW TFT widescreen X1910WDS,
Microsoft remote keyboard & mouse wireless 3000,
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI 7.1,
Trust SP-6210 Speakers,
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM),
2 Year Labour Warranty Upgrade, Free Carriage

£977.30

Totally-braindead 17:25 16 Nov 2007

Not being funny here Gandalf but from what has been said on the Forum all the suppliers are having differculty getting the 8800GTS graphics card, theres that much demand. Perhaps Cougar have a lot of them if so fine but I would think it worth asking them if theres any delays before purchasing. Just in case.

Joe R 17:29 16 Nov 2007

GANDALF <|:-)>,

I think Intel is now the choice for most gamers, so a system with for example, The E6750, will not be a great deal more expensive, but will soundly beat the AMD x2 4800.

Also, for a gaming rig, a good reliable power supply is a must, with the Corsair 620watt, or the BFG 800watt, good choices. (imho)

the 8800 gts is going to be replaced and reclassified as the far superior gt is cheaper, smaller, less hungry and less toasty. there is a new one coming out soon.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:17 16 Nov 2007

So intel it is. The trouble with the graphics card is that the next one up is a lot more, so would the 8800GTS be a good choice that would cope with all the games? I'll check with Cougar before placing the order to ensure that it is in stock.g

citadel 23:09 16 Nov 2007

it is the new 8800gt that is in short supply.

Totally-braindead 23:18 16 Nov 2007

citadel my mistake then.

From what I have read, what people have said and what the reviews say it appears to be the choice graphics card before going to silly money and yes it will run everything.

I have to mention though that this past week or so there have been a couple of threads from people using this card with the very, very latest games and some are having to reduce the graphics a tad from the very top everything on full mode, the reason, they are on Vista and it hits the frame rate a quite a bit.

Its still very playable don't get me wrong its just some people seem to be finding on Vista that they have to drop the resolution or drop some of the graphics options from the very highest level to play it properly.

This is what they are saying I have no experience of this myself as I had to revert to XP after a couple of problems, and to be honest I'm happier with XP.

Have a quick scan over this if you wish and look at the best card for £180 click here its the best value card available just now in my opinion at least and I wish I could afford one myself, but I can't.

this is my view only, the 320 mb gts has always had the memory problem that is what every vista patch tried to address, i had an inno 3d 320 gts on my vista pc, i never suffered with the problem, but it was never on standard clocks.
i read your crysis post on speakers corner tb and this goes to show how superior the 76 cards were. the 85/ 86 cards are pretty poor and it seems they and the 320 mb 8800gts are a mile away from dx 10 handling.
so i think the 86 cards will be pulled replaced by the old 8800gts maybe, lets not forget the 89 cards are out soon and i think my old gtx which cost me £445 will be a less than half that price. how quickly things move.

Totally-braindead 13:01 17 Nov 2007

Just read it adman 2 and it does explain citadels correction of what I said and explains why the 8800GT is the one everyone wants, cheaper than the GTS and in most cases faster.

Gandalf I do think that people, gamers in particular get kind of hung up on frame rates and at the end of the day that PC will run anything. Ok the more expensive cards will get you a better frame rate but its still perfectly playable.

Since the GT version of the card seems to be unavailable the GTS version seems to be the best option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?