Gaming Computer for £800

Jameslayer 20:18 07 Dec 2008

Hi I orgigenally had a £500 but after my parents have gave me some money towards it so I know have a budget of £800. I am looking for compleate computer that must be future proff to a large degree.

I will be playing most types of games from FPS, wow, stratagy etc. I understand that my budget is not enough for top spec.

I built this at couger link click here
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz 6Mb Cache, 4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2 x 2gb single modules, 160GB SATA Hard Drive,
GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3,
C2D - ASROCK CONROE-ESATA II 1333fsb-DDR667x4, DVD+/- RW - 20X (pioneer 115D),
22 inch YUSMART - YURAKU widescreen JT229IP, Keyboard & Mouse Set Black and Silver,
Integrated Sound Card,
Trust 2.1 SP-3200 Speaker Set,
No Operating System
13 Month Warranty, Free Carriage
Total cost 710.51

So all advice and tips welcome also do computer ships tend to have a sell after christmas if so how big a saving would you normally expect.

Joe R 21:29 07 Dec 2008

Jameslayer,

although it looks a half-decent spec, I know there is better for the same price.

The 160Gb hard drive won't be long in filling up, and your purchase of an operating system, adds another £60 or so.

This here looks as good a system to me, with an optional upgrade on the PSU maybe a possibility.

click here

Jameslayer 00:17 12 Dec 2008

Joe thanks for the reply I am presuming that you are refering to the pc the Arbico Elite 8850 Pro. So I had a look at the Chillblast Fusion Osiris click here

And if I understand correctly the only main differences between the couger and the chillblast is the chillblast comeing with a OS and a slighlty more powerful ram. And harddrive to be honest I only have 2/3 games on my comp at any time as i uninstall them.

Hmmmm after more reseach if I have got the correct model of motherboad the couger one will not supoort quad core.

Am tempted to get the chillblast one but will the coger give better gaming performece due to a better graphic card.

GaT7 02:43 12 Dec 2008

Some months ago I'd have been imploring you (well almost!) to buy from Chillblast on account of their better quality 'default spec' components, compared to say Cougar, for the same money - so better value too. But not any more it appears.

A few things to watch out for in all these systems is the relatively low quality case, monitor & PSU they provide - lattermost is very important. I may not mind a Colors-IT case/psu for a low-budget PC, but not one to go with a powerful dual/quad-core CPU & good graphics card.

Also think about getting the monitor separately (from eBuyer, Scan, other) to get the full 3-year warranty.

The Cougar's GTX 260 will give better gaming performance, but other important areas are overlooked & the system may be a bit 'unbalanced'. Well, similarly with Chillblast - unless you're willing to make do with a lesser graphics card. Or, spend more & get a better system from either, or elsewhere for that matter. G

"And harddrive to be honest I only have 2/3 games on my comp at any time as i uninstall them." - Be aware that some of the newer games allow only a limited number of 'activations', which basically could limit the number of installs/reinstalls of these games. This is due to DRM anti-piracy/security measures incorporated in them (e.g. SecuROM, google for more). This may not affect you much, but just thought you'd like to be aware. G

Joe R 16:33 12 Dec 2008

Jameslayer,

I don't know what happened to my link, but it was the Chillblast link I was trying to link to.

This is why I said, And Crossbow7 also mentions, the Case and PSU, may need upgrading.

The Radeon 4850, is also a decent card, and there won't be a great deal of difference between it, and the GTX260.

Jameslayer 20:06 12 Dec 2008

£800 is my total budget. So any total build specs within this budget are most welcome. I have a copy of XP I can use so a OS is not needed.

In regards to the case I am used having a white/black box. So I have always viewed better cases as a style thing not a working component.

Shows you how behind in the times I am forgot all about some games have limited activations.

I am at my mates house and I cant find the reviews but they had 260 outperforming the others by a reasonable margin.

So for a 22inch monitor I am looking in the region of £130.click here Will have a look at my pc advisor when i get home for reviews.

If I am getting the correct stuff couger still seems to be coming out just on top. Not counting the better warrenty from chillblast.

Jameslayer 20:30 12 Dec 2008

click here
Case:
Antec Three Hundred Black Case
Price: £40.00

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz Processor
Price: £198.00

Cooling & Thermal Paste:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Price: £13.99

Motherboard:
Asus P5KPL-AM Motherboard
Price: £48.00
Memory Upgrades: None chosen
Graphics Card:
Chillblast Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Price: £100.00
1st Hard Disk Drive:
500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Price: £45.00
2nd Hard Disk Drive: None chosen
Standard Optical Drive:
Standard 20x DL DVD±RW SATA Optical Drive
Price: £0.00

Additional Optical Drive: None chosen

Power Supply:
Thermaltake High Performance 500W PSU
Price: £50.00

Sound Card:
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1 SE OEM
Price: £19.99

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit OEM
Price: £0.00

Monitor: None chosen

Keyboard & Mouse:
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX-110 Keyboard & Mouse
Price: £5.00
Speakers:
Logitech S220 2.1 High Quality Speakers
Price: £5.00

Game Controllers: None chosen
PCI Cards: None chosen
Software: None chosen
Backup Solutions: None chosen
ReadyBoost: None chosen
Printers: None chosen
Scanners: None chosen

Total products cost ex.VAT: £641.44
Total products cost inc.VAT: £737.66

Jameslayer 20:38 12 Dec 2008

Gamers Core 2 Duo 8600 Series (Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz 6Mb Cache,
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2 x 2gb single modules, 500GB SATA Hard Drive,
Coolermaster 590,
Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade,
GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3,
QC - Gigabyte GAP35-S3G - 1333FSB-DDR2 1333x4 Intel P35,
DVD+/- RW - 20X (pioneer 115D),
No Floppy Disk Drive,
No Monitor,
Keyboard & Mouse Set Black and Silver, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI 7.1,
Trust 2.1 SP-3200 Speaker Set, ,
No Operating System,
No Additional Software, ,
13 Month Warranty, Free Carriage)

Jameslayer 20:39 12 Dec 2008

My lasy post was click here
and price was Total £705.58

GaT7 01:58 13 Dec 2008

A better case usually means better airflow & cooling.

There are cheaper 22" monitors to be had with DVI - check out Scan/todayonly page click here

Comments for the ones you linked above:

Chillblast:
- Get the MSI P43 mobo instead (the Asus P5KPL-AM is a mATX)
- Btw, their 22" monitors apparently come with a 3-year manufacturer's warranty, so better to take one from them

Cougar-E click here: This will be the better PC, although I'd go for a lesser case & better PSU, e.g.
- Cooler Master RC330 Elite Black (or one of the Xclio cases with the large fans on the sides - X-Clio Propeller)
- Corsair VX450
New total = £715

Another to consider from Novatech (with no OS & 2Gb RAM is the Rage (HD 4850) click here = £580 (incl next day del)

The above will leave you ~£220, & can be spent on:
£25 - 2Gb additional RAM
£120 - 22" monitor
£25 - Logitech X210 2.1 Speakers click here (buy from Amazon - not a marketplace seller)
£13 - Logitech Media Keyboard 600 click here
£18 - Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse click here (a very good gaming mouse for the money)

Wired keyboards & mice are usually much better in gaming that wireless ones.

Have you considered building a PC yourself? G

Jameslayer 15:30 13 Dec 2008

Same problem as me the couger link is reset back to the standerd config. Could you post the full spec here or PM it to me please. So in the end if I make the correct choices the couger will be the best comp everall in your oppinion. Picking up the monitor from a diffrnt source.

I dont need keyboard or mouse they just went on the list as they come as standerd.

In regards to building my own. I considered it but was under the impression by the time you buy all the parts etc it will end up costing more or be so little diffrnce its not worth the hassle. Plus I have only replaced the easy parts like ram/hd/graphic card etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?