Fuel analasys - where?

Starfox 16:55 13 Apr 2006

On Tuesday I filled my car with petrol at my local filling station, travelled half a mile and then ground to a halt.I walked back to the service station and on the forecourt were a couple of people trying to start their cars,and not having much luck.Then it all became very clear,had we all used the wrong pump and put in diesel instead of petrol?Turns out the pump we had used was indeed the correct type but had since been locked off,something funny going on!

To cut out a long story I had the car towed to my local Land Rover dealer and they suspected contaminated fuel,cost me £395 plus £44 for the fuel wasted and the dealer gave me samples of the fuel they had removed and although it smells like petrol it's very greasy and blue in colour.

My question is where can I get this stuff analysed and who is the official body responsible for fuel quality etc at the pumps, it used to be the local council weights an measures department but things have changed and I need to know just in case the service station gets *funny* over this matter.

Sorry for the long thread but any advice appreciated.

Starfox

Starfox 16:58 13 Apr 2006

In a way the car had a replacement chip fitted to the engine management computer.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:23 13 Apr 2006

click here

It looks like it might offer the service you require, if they will deal with a private customer and not just business customers.

wiz-king 17:50 13 Apr 2006

Your local trading standards would be my first port of call. They should be interested, if it is a case of a simple mistake then they would help you get recompense from the garage.

Stuartli 17:54 13 Apr 2006

It's most likely that the compensation - if the wrong fuel has been delivered to a particular pump - will come from the petrol company i.e. BP, Texaco etc or its official tanker delivery company.

The petrol station would be unlikely to be aware that its tanks were being filled with the wrong type of fuel, whether petrol or diesel.

Stuartli 17:55 13 Apr 2006

...should read: ...."The petrol station staff..." ...:-)

Starfox 18:03 13 Apr 2006

Ah but - when we made complaints to the staff they said "Oh!yes we have had some problems with the fuel in No 1 pump" so they were aware of the problem earlier and just to clarify we are not talking back street garage here,the srvice station is what I would call the market leader in the U.K.but thanks for the advice.

spuds 18:38 13 Apr 2006

The trading standards in the garages area are the people who will check out your complaint. They do regular checks on fuel on petrol station forecourts.

I had a similar problem a number of years ago, and at the time was a member of the Automobile Association.Called them out when the vehicle stopped, and they cleaned out the carb etc,after a few more miles the same problem. Called out the AA again, and it was on the second call-out they realised that my problem and that of other drivers requesting similar aid in the area, was due to refuelling at one particulat petrol station. Further checks were made, and it was found to be contaminated fuel. The AA took up the matter, other people and myself were compensated.

g0slp 19:18 13 Apr 2006

Slightly OT, but this may be of interest.

I had a query about 6 years ago. I'd noticed that after filling up my car (a diesel) at a particular supermarket I was getting 10-15% less MPG than if I filled up at an oil major's filling station. I did a couple of controlled bunkerings/consumption checks & recorded the relevant data.

As a Marine Engineer I'd experienced such things on board ship, so I had an inkling of what was wrong. I contacted Trading Standards, & after explaining the problem they investigated.

Turned out that the fuel being supplied had a very poor calorific value (ie 'bang' per cc), but was JUST within specification.

The fuel was just 'fit for purpose', but if you worked out MPG against the 1p/litre 'saving' you were actually losing out on a cost per mile basis.

I've avoided this particular supermarket's filling stations ever since.

Starfox 20:11 13 Apr 2006

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Cannot do anything about the matter until after the Easter break when I will be contacting trading standards and consumer protection,that is unless I hear from the service station in the meantime having left my name and phone number with them.I will leave this thread open a little longer in case anyone else comes up with more info.

Ranger 08:26 14 Apr 2006

A while back this happend to cars after filling up at at a local supermarket near me, it turned out water had somehow got into their holding tank, the reimbursed everyone for the cost of repairs to their engines, hopefully yo'll get the same result

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?