Freeview Combination

MS35 21:51 21 Mar 2006

Any thoughts on the best combination for Freeview?

Separate freeview set top box,

Television with digital (freeview) tuner,

or DVD Recorder with freeview tuner built in?

Struggling to understand the Pros and Cons of each of the options but would like to be able to record from both terrestrial and digital channels by timer.

Cheers

Stuartli 22:11 21 Mar 2006

The DVD recorder with built-in tuner(s) and hard drive is the best bet, such as the Humax PVR 9200 with an 80GB hard drive (can be upgraded to a bigger HDD).

Using the other methods will require use of a VCR and, unless you have a Freeview set top box with two tuners, will only be able to record the programme you are watching.

MS35 19:18 22 Mar 2006

So looking at about £200 for this part, does that mean that the Humax has to be on all the time even if only watching the television? and will the TV be switching via scart to AV input rather than using the TV remote?

961 19:29 22 Mar 2006

Consider the satellite alternative for £150 installed inc box, dish and many more channels.

acfc 07:35 24 Mar 2006

I have both satellite (no subscrition) and freeview using a Humix receiver/hard disk.

Although the satellite has more channels they're generally not what I would watch (does anyone?.

Freeview have channels the satellite does not which I do like so when I move house no more dish!

The Humix box is excellent and at about £130 was cheap. Yes it's on all the time which allows you to pause and rewind live TV.

No doubt by the time it breaks down TV will have digital receivers and HDDs built in at an affordable cost so that will be my next move.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?