Freecom excellent service

Twixticles 11:12 10 Sep 2006

I just posted a gripe about another company on another thread that is causing me to tear my hair out. In the interests of good karma I thought I'd give a success story too.

I have a 100Gb Freecom FHD-2 Pro external USB powered hard drive. I bought it 10 months ago in the USA when I was working there.

A few weeks ago, it simply failed to be recognised when plugged in during my back-up procedure...I could see my work going down the pan! (The old freezer trick resurrected it long enough to grab the data) :)

I emailed Freecom UK with the serial number and description of the problem - by return email I got the RMA number and address.

Just over a week later, I had a brand-new, fully packaged hard drive from Freecom.

For such an old drive, and for one bought in another country, I thought Freecom's response was the best I could have hoped for - one happy bunny here.

I love their USB Digital TV tuner too :)

lisa02 11:36 10 Sep 2006

Excellent news, but what is the freezer trick?

Twixticles 11:45 10 Sep 2006

The Freezer Trick is a method of last resort, and should only be attempted when all other avenues have been exhausted.

Basically, I put the HDD in a plastic bag, then put it in the freezer for an hour. Exactly *why* this should work is anyones guess. Something to do with the cold contracting metal components I imagine.

Worked for me, anyway. Its the second time I've revived a dead HDD temporarily with this trick :)

lisa02 11:46 10 Sep 2006

Never heard of that one before, cool! (no pun intended) :P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?