Free Skype time.

Arnie 16:40 03 Aug 2006

Today I checked my Skype account and found that they are offering 20 mins of free telephone time.

Any Skype users please check your account.

Pamy 17:31 03 Aug 2006

Cheers Arnie, got it

anskyber 17:48 03 Aug 2006

Lucky you. Was it under "My Account" and have you bought credits before?

Pamy 18:02 03 Aug 2006

I originaly bought 10Eros 12months ago. I went onto my account and it said I could download 20 mins of call time for every Thursday

Arnie 18:42 03 Aug 2006

My wife has an account that has never been used to purchase phone time. However, from time to time she still has credit added to her account. I've just checked her Skype account on her computer and activated the free 20 mins call time which was available.

After closing Skype and restarting, it showed €0.34 (34 cents)in the account.

anskyber 21:08 03 Aug 2006

Interesting, no such luck here, I had assumed until your replies that it was for previous purchasers of credit.

dms05 09:24 04 Aug 2006

I downloaded my 'free' Thursday 20 minutes of calls. Skype confirmed they were active. I called a friend in Spain for 17 minutes. Skype deducted the normal charge for the call from my balance. So no 'free' calls. Quality of call was also very poor.

Arnie 09:38 04 Aug 2006

I can't understand that. My wife rang Gibraltar on her last free calls and although she was only connected for a few minutes, she spoke to her friend in Marina Bay.

They couldn't charge her because she has no paid for credit.

Simsy 10:18 08 Aug 2006

the calls are so cheap anyway that 20 mins is not a lot of money...

My balance inceased by about 24€cents.

However, it is strange, because as the cost of calls varies slightly depending where you call, the cost for 20 minutes will vary.

It seems to me that it would have made more sense to say they were offereing say, 20 pence of credit.

From a marketing point of view I can see that that is not very attractive! 20 Minutes is more appealing.

When all's said and done, lets not look a gift horse in the mouth!

Regards,

Simsy

dms05 10:43 08 Aug 2006

My free 20 minutes never appeared and Skype haven't answered my email on 'why no free time'. So my free call cost me full normal rate - not much, but if you offer free calls you should deliver free calls. Bad taste left in mouth - and all for 20p! Very poor PR.

dms05 15:04 08 Aug 2006

On a given day – every Tuesday of August for Sweden, Spain and Italy, every Wednesday of August for France and Denmark and every Thursday of August 2006 for UK and Poland. The promotion started on the first Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday of August -, with 20 minutes free SO minutes.The promotion is based on the IP address of the computer used.

To recieve the credits you should follow those steps:

* Click on Get 20 Free Minutes Now banner
* Landing page > click on Get Minutes
* Sign In My Account
* Redeem Gift
* Success Message with Link to 'how to make a call page'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone