Flight Simulator 2004. Best system?

peete 16:44 14 Aug 2006

Can anyone suggest to a 76 year old a good well balanced desktop system for operating Flight Sim 2004 ?
Other requirements are pretty basic but I would like a good flt sim performance.
Recommendations for a quality supplier would also be much appreciated.

Mike D 17:20 14 Aug 2006

peete

I wouldn't like to suggest the best system for FS 2004, but if you go to click here and go to the Main Menu and then FS2004 Message area, then post a question, you should be able gat an informed answer.

Mike

Jimmy14 17:33 14 Aug 2006

The system requirments for Flight Simulator are as follows,

Microsoft® Windows® 98/Me/XP/2000
PC with 450 MHz equivalent or higher processor
128 MB of system RAM for 2000/XP, 64 MB RAM for 98/Me
1.8 GB available hard disk space
4x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
8 MB video card required
Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play.

You could buy any desktop today and it would fit the bill for this game. I have played it before and it is a good game mind you.

Mike D 17:35 14 Aug 2006

Sorry should have added, when you get to the message area, click on Top level entrance and look for the Hardware forum

Mike

flycatcher 18:14 14 Aug 2006

As a 76 year old user of MFS 2004 (!) I find that my over 3 year old Evesham fits the bill nicely though its spec is from the Iron Age.
If I was re-placing my set up I would look for the best Graphics Card and the largest screen (I have a 17 inch) that I could afford.

Microsoft are on the brink of a new Flt Sim - or so people say - but I find FS2004 a cracking set up. The advice from MikeD is good.

Good luck with the flying.

Rigor mortis 18:41 14 Aug 2006

Due for release later this year.
click here

It is a trial version - 636MB but looks good.

Jonathan314159 18:44 14 Aug 2006

I'm not sure I agree that any desktop today would fit the bill (Jimmy14) - at a minimum I'd make sure that it had a separate graphics card. But as with flycatcher my 3 year old system runs it very well.

And if there was one add-on I would get, it would be TrackIR - which allows you to look around by moving your head rather than fiddling around with a hat switch or mouse.

anskyber 19:16 14 Aug 2006

I ran Flight sim on my laptop but at the minimum settings for it to run. My new PC has a respectable (256MB) ram separate graphics card and with a middle range processor I can run it on max settings. This has improved the visual performance significantly.

anskyber 19:19 14 Aug 2006

Oh... and do not let pepole tell you its a game, this is very realistic flying.

anskyber 19:19 14 Aug 2006

pepole = people

peete 09:57 15 Aug 2006

I'm most grateful to all for your helpful comments.

Would in your opinion, a system comprising of athlon 64 x2 3800, 2k mb memory, asus sli dual ddr, 250 gb hdd, geforce 7900gt pci express, be not good enough ? or overkill but obscelescent proof?
or just about right ?

I've not heard of Track IR. Sounds interesting.
From where could I obtain more info'?
Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?