Flight insurance

VNAM75 12:44 16 Jan 2007

I will be going abroad next month but just wondered whether I needed any insurance. I'm only going for a week and will be staying at a friends house.

I will be purchasing an e-ticket from lastminute.com. I just need to know whether I would need insurance to cover a flight cancellation - not by me but if there are any delays/reasons for the airline to cancel or postpone the flight. Would I be entitled to a refund in this case or do I need insurance to cover it? The carrier is air new zealand and I will be flying to Hong Kong.

anchor 13:22 16 Jan 2007

I would imagine that if the airline cancels your flight they would pay. You can phone Air NZ and check:

Freephone: 0800 028 4149

I would most strongly recommend you take insurance for health, baggage loss, etc. Many such policies also cover flight problems.

medicine hat 13:38 16 Jan 2007

I don't think there is such a thing as flight insurance. Do you mean travel insurance?

If the carrier cancels the flight you will get a full refund from the airline. There could be a delay in departure but if its overnight the airline will arrange the hotel and give you vouchers for meals. Air New Zealand are also unlikely to go bankrupt any time soon.

The main reason for travel insurance is if you become ill, either prior to departure and don't travel or when in resort. Prior to claim for the costs you have incurred and can't get a refund from the suppliers for. In resort because hospital visits are expensive - just seeing a doctor will cost at least £50. Imagine the cost of an air ambulance to return you to the UK should the absolute worst happen. You would be very unwise to travel without insurance.

medicine hat 13:44 16 Jan 2007

Check this out click here

Plenty of policies on there for less than £30 for a single trip or you could probably get a multitrip policy for less than £40

robert01 13:46 16 Jan 2007

You can get travel insurance online from Insure and Go, Columbus etc. Go to the independant site This Is Money to find the cheapest - I always use them and for a single trip it shoudn't cost too much.

click here

VNAM75 14:03 16 Jan 2007

medicine hat, thanks. All I needed to know was whether the airline would refund if the flight was cancelled by them. In that case I'm not going to bother with insurance. Thanks to everyone else for their advice.

spuds 14:47 16 Jan 2007

" In that case I'm not going to bother with insurance".

I would strongly suggest, like others have, that you have travel insurance. Even the smallest claim or incident could well cover the cost of the policy many times over.

VNAM75 13:37 17 Jan 2007

Thanks, I'll take a look at some insurance, flight is still over a month away.

I bought my ticket from lastminute.com last night using debit card (credit card companies make a charge). I entered my name exactly as what is on my passport, ie. First Name Middle Name Surname. But on my confirmation email (eticket) it is printed as FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME Surname. Note the capitalisation and no space separating my First and Middle name. Would this create any problems for me at check in time? It is not spelt incorrectly but there is no space between my first 2 names. It may be trivial but should I query it with lastminute or the airline?

rezeeg 16:11 17 Jan 2007

Mine never show spaces VNAM75. Don't worry cos all you really need is your passport, although it helps to take the paper ticket along.

VNAM75 16:21 17 Jan 2007

rezeeg, thanks.

Kate B 21:21 17 Jan 2007

You're mad to travel without insurance. If you're going to go away even once more in the next 12 months, get an annual multi-trip policy from someone like Columbus Direct - it's cheaper than buying a single-trip policy.

Incidentally, we've had a few non-computer consumer queries in here recently - I don't mind, but are they allowed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?