Flatbed scanner woes

Ellen G 10:15 20 Feb 2009

I bought a Canon Lite 200 because it had good reviews on a certain website and it was light and compact. I don't need anything for negatives and film. However, I did expect that the colours would be an exact match to those in the photos and that images would not be overexposed.

Adjusting the software settings helped very little. However, text is legible and a friend who owns three scanners thought I wouldn't be able to find a better quality model unless I spent a lot more.

Any opinions? Are my expectations too high?

Regards

Ellen

peter99co 11:19 20 Feb 2009

I have an Epson V200 Photo which was not very expensive direct from Epson. The colour is spot on. It included Negs and Film option and will scan and interpret text. It will even scan to web and/or email.

How much did you pay?

Ellen G 11:28 20 Feb 2009

The canon was relatively cheap, about £56. Weight and space is an issue for me, not film.

961 13:58 20 Feb 2009

Probably not, but they should be reasonably accurate and certainly not overexposed

Are you using the Canon software or some other software already on your computer?

How about downloading the latest software for your scanner direct from the Canon site, ensuring all the older stuff is deleted (inc any that came with a disk with the scanner) and having another try

If that doesn't work, try e-mail to the Canon web site support. They are better than many and may come up with some ideas, particularly to confirm that the scanner is working correctly

Ellen G 14:17 20 Feb 2009

Canon has no online support, just FAQ, indeed the model is no longer listed. Telephone support was unhelpful.

Downloaded latest drivers: no effect.

961 14:46 20 Feb 2009

Can you post the exact model number and name (Lite or LIDE) and when you purchased?

Ellen G 14:49 20 Feb 2009

It's a Canoscan LIDE 200 and I bought it just over a week ago.

Tried emailing Canon twice using their webform and it crashed twice.

961 15:17 20 Feb 2009

It seems to be a model currently on sale at around the price you paid

Some report they are unhappy with the colour performance, often remarking that if they use their own photo software they get a better result

So if you are using the Canon software, try your own, even the freebies such as Picasa or Gimp

If you are still unhappy try complaining to the dealer and asking to exchange for something else

Chas49 18:12 20 Feb 2009

I agree with peter99co - I have the Epson 200 and it is a good scanner. I wonder if you can return the Canon on the grounds that it is unsuitable for purpose?

Diemmess 18:21 20 Feb 2009

It seems a shame because Canon market machines of quality as a rule.

The impression I have is that this is (Lite) as cheap as they can make, and possibly have overdone trimming the thing.

961 offers the best idea of returning to the retailer saying it isn't "fit for purpose" and offering to pay a little more for a better quality scanner.

It too may be that this one is faulty.

I have never had a returned email from Epson though they have supported me in the rare occasions when things went wrong during the warranty period.

wiz-king 19:36 20 Feb 2009

Are you sure it's the scanner?
Do scans look ok on the screen? or is it only when you print them you have a problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?