Fix it or toss it: Acer Aspire 5820 TG

goncaloxyz 20:51 09 Aug 2014

Hey guys,

My 3-year-old Acer laptop (configuration below) is starting to show some signs of age so I'm wondering whether it's worth to do the needed repairs and restore it to its former glory or just buy a new one.

lately I have been getting some slowdowns when running several lightweight applications simultaneously. I also find that it overheats easily whenever I run something demanding. The screen has a dozen of columns of dead pixels and the mouse pad doesn't work anymore so if I were to keep it, I would replace them as well.

If I were to replace I'm probably be looking to spend around £700-800 tops and would like a machine that would allow me to run some technical computing stuff for work like MATLAB smoothly and if possible some games too but nothing too demanding either.

All advice welcome happy

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz Manufacturer Intel Speed 2.4 GHz Number of Cores 4

Video Card 1
Intel(R) HD Graphics Manufacturer Intel Chipset Intel(R) HD Graphics Dedicated Memory 128 MB Total Memory 1.7 GB

Video Card 2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Manufacturer ATI Chipset ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB Total Memory 2.6 GB

Memory 3.8 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit Service Pack 1 Size 64 Bit Edition Ultimate

Display Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768

DVD ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device CD ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device

Drive
Size 596.1 GB

morddwyd 06:49 10 Aug 2014

Personally I would never spend much on repairing a 3 year old laptop.

For the sort of money it would cost you, even DIY, you would be well on the way t a half way decent start of the art machine.

Get an (or a couple) estimate for the repair first and balance the figures.

Batch 09:13 10 Aug 2014

Laptops aren't particularly easy to work on (and so not cheap to repair).

Also a lot of the parts (other than memory and disk) are often specific to a particular make or model (and so are also not cheap).

Contrast with desktop PCs which use widely available off the shelf components that are used in a wide range of makes and models and / or can be replaced with substitutes.

Bottom line - probably not worth fixing.

In fact if you wanted to keep costs down (and stick with the same or similar model), you'd be better off buying a working second-hand one off ebay.

Forum Editor 14:25 10 Aug 2014

"The screen has a dozen of columns of dead pixels and the mouse pad doesn't work anymore so if I were to keep it, I would replace them as well."

Buy a new machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?