First PC 4 very young child

Technotiger 19:33 05 Mar 2007

Hi, has anyone any recommendations for a first pc for a very young child - NOT a toy run on batteries!
Not too expensive please. TIA.

SANTOS7 20:07 05 Mar 2007

click here

Can't really advise on the hardware but there are some thoughts in the link that are interesting..

Technotiger 20:15 05 Mar 2007

Hi, many thanks - yes, interesting. The child, not mine, is 4 years old shortly, his older brother (9yrs) shares his mums' pc. I have been attempting
to give them guidance, along with my Partner.

Thanks again.

SANTOS7 20:30 05 Mar 2007

Kids are Kids are Kids Technotiger and i think if you actually just gave them the PC they would learn how to use it, the user guidelines which are solely down to the parents i would say must be adhered to it would be easy to sit them down and forget about them.
As for Pc itself set them up a limited account on their mums that way you can limit the use easier..

wjrt 21:21 05 Mar 2007
  The Brigadier 21:22 05 Mar 2007

Depends if you want to go for a desktop pc or a laptop.
If a laptop then spmething like click here cheap, but will do the job.
If you after a desktop pc then try click here No monitor, but you can pick one up in Tesco's for £100
Hope this helps.

wjrt 21:24 05 Mar 2007

as with all dell deals reduce the support to i year collect and return and is £329 which i think is pretty good for 1024 mem . vista home premium , and 17" tft monitor

moorie- 21:36 05 Mar 2007

personally,
i would get a half decent 2nd hand one,ive seen a few "whats it worth posts",the spec has been good,and more than adequate for the formative years

my 7 yr old wanted a pc so she and her sister didnt have to share,so i picked up a half decent second hand one that had dvd rom,on relatively quick processor and 512mb ram,incl os,monitor,mouse keyboard,speakers and software for £120 and networked it

she happily clicks away,watches dvds and surfs the net,loves music and occasional word processing
her only request was not slow like grandads!

ps laptops=spilled drinks and dropping alot!

Technotiger 21:41 05 Mar 2007

Thanks a lot for your input - looks like it is gonna be Novatech.

Cheers

Technotiger 21:43 05 Mar 2007

Thanks - I agree 2nd hand would be ok - my Partner has other ideas, ah well. Thanks for your input.

SANTOS7 21:44 05 Mar 2007

Not a bad idea, i like their stuff, good luck with the guidance, course you know where to come when the little cherubs have done the PC up like a kipper!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)