FIRMWARE UPGRADES - A WARNING

NT Server 20:45 16 Jun 2004

I have just purchased a Linksys wireless access point and found that there was a new firmware update for it. As it had a feature I was going to use I decided to install the update. Having downloaded it I looked at the readme that said you should only install this if you have version 1.09.1. I had 1.8. Having searched for 1.09.1 and not finding it I emailed Linksys who sent me the version 1.09.1. I installed it, it is very easy on Linksys kit. After the reboot the red Diag light stayed on and the unit would not work. I found out that this meant the firmware had corrupted the unit, so I emailed Linksys - no reply. So I phoned Linksys (a 0870 number) and got put though to a guy in the states. He first asked where I was from, and then told me I had been sent the US version of the firmware. That’s why it had not worked. As it was only a few days old he told me they could not do anything and to return it where I brought it from. Fortunately the dealer replaced the access point with no problems. But beware also check the country when you are installing any firmware updates. ( I have now decided I can do without the extra feature)

Gaz 25 21:14 16 Jun 2004

Installed the latest firmware UK version on a Draytek router today - that actualy went ok then the router flickered a few times - couldnt get on the internet, but after a reboot it worked fine, not had any trouble since.

Stuartli 10:20 17 Jun 2004

Many forum members, myself included, have warned about firmware updates such as those for DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives, as it is so easy for things to go wrong.

If a device is working as it should, then the best approach is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Get the update wrong and, in many cases, the device is fit only for the dustbin.

-Beb- 11:46 17 Jun 2004

Ive got a Netgear RP614 v2 cable router which kept cutting out the internet connection, fixed that with a new firmware fortunately, but as Stuartli says, if you arent experienceing any problems, dont 'fix' it

Aspman 15:04 17 Jun 2004

For some equipment you can't get much in the way of support unless you have up to date firmware.

I use HP switches at work and the first thing you get asked if you are needing support is "what version of firmware do you have". If it isn't the latest then 'OBVIOUSLY' that is the problem. Good way to get customers off the phone. You then have to go and apply firmware updates to £20k of switches. Brings you out in a cold sweat that does.

Gaz 25 17:08 17 Jun 2004

Reason why I updated router?

Because they spelt signal as Sigmal

and one of the interface pages didnt work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?