Firewire and USB2 and laptop buying

SylvesterMagic 07:52 27 Feb 2008

Hi

I'm about to buy a new laptop, budget of £600. It's come down to the Samsung R700 and Mesh ER710.

I prefer the spec of the Samsung, but have noticed that it doesn't have a Firewire port (only USB2), I wondered if this was going to be a problem? I've heard that firewire is used for importing video from camcorders, can USB2 do the same?

Also... if anyone wants to recommend a better option than either of the two laptops I've found (or have an opinion on those laptops), that would be great.

Thanks

Neil

merciarich 08:53 27 Feb 2008

Although high-speed USB 2.0 runs at a higher signaling rate than FireWire 400, typical USBs rarely exceed sustained transfers of 35 MB/s. This is likely due to USB's reliance on the host-processor to manage low-level USB protocol, whereas FireWire automates the same tasks in the interface hardware.

You will be able to use USB inj place of Firewire, you just need to ensure you buy the right cable (its usually referred to as a "mini-USB" cable) - a good idea is to take your camcorder along to the store should you need to purchase any USB cables.

Regarding a laptop, I have a HP laptop that has firewire and USB - I would highly recommend it for £629 (use the checkout code "AW20" to get £20 off at checkout, making the laptop £609)
Supplier is Dixons, link is: click here

Demora 11:09 27 Feb 2008

What about click here

D

merciarich 18:13 27 Feb 2008

Personally I would stay with the HP brand

Never had any issues with them and they have a top notch warranty procedure

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?