Firewalls

LinH 17:21 22 Jan 2009

What's the general consensus on the best firewall to use?

I'm using Zone Alarm at the moment but find it -at least I think it is the culprit - slows web page access time considerably. For the record I also use Avast anti-virus but that's about it really.

Many thanks in advance.

LinH

tullie 18:26 22 Jan 2009

I have no problems with ZoneAlarm.

LinH 18:38 22 Jan 2009

tullie

You mean you don't notice any slowing down?

LinH

birdface 18:56 22 Jan 2009

All depends if you have an old computer or short of memory both of those will slow you down.But check Taskmanager to see what is using up the CPU if nothing running System Idle process should be showing about 97%.Do you not have anymore security programs running.Maybe try Winaso Optimizer that should speed you up a bit.Now trial version will only repair 10 items at a time.But you can run it as often as you like.

click here

Kemistri 18:59 22 Jan 2009

Are you using ZA's suite? I think it's probably quite well known that it's a bit resource heavy, particularly at startup. The standalone should be more average.

As for your opening question: do you want free or premium; standalone or suite?

Comodo is widely regarded as the best free standalone firewall, and Online Armor's free version is very good, though I have no personal experience of that one.

If you want a suite, Kaspersky is still very good, though I found it a bit too resource hungry. Bit Defender gets excellent reviews now. I use either Bit Defender's anti-virus or ESET NOD32 with Comodo's firewall on my PCs.

LinH 19:03 22 Jan 2009

Yes, my pc is getting on a bit (5year old Dell) but with updated spec is still reasonable i.e. runs Vista o.k. However, the CPU is the original 2.6 single core which probably doesn't help.

Thanks anyway.

LinH

LinH 19:20 22 Jan 2009

No, I'm not using a suite, only the standalone free version. I find the free version of a firewall more than adequate for my needs.

Comodo seems interesting, it may be worth a try to see if there is any improvement.

Cheers.

LinH

961 19:49 22 Jan 2009

Kaspersky suite works well for me

It came free via the on line bank

AL47 19:56 22 Jan 2009

i have ZA firewall [if the suite was free id have it, also if i had to pay for one it would be that too] no problenms

infact i think its brilliant, especially program control

LinH 20:23 22 Jan 2009

I'm not saying ZA is not a good firewall, merely that it seems to slow my system down somewhat.

LinH

AL47 21:19 22 Jan 2009

sorry

oh system, i thought u meant internet speed?

anyway, i will check see how much ram mine uses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?