Final Desktop Specification!

Leeleemu 16:27 08 Aug 2005

Right, you all have probably seen my various questions posted, well my final desktop is as follows:

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Socket 939

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm Socket 939

Memory: Kingmax PC3200 SuperRAM 400Mhz 2GB DDR (2x1GB) Dual Channel Pair

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 120GB FDB 8MB SATA

Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM 200GB FDB 8Mb SATA

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X800 XL 256MB PCI Express

Power Supply: Enermax EG495AX-VE(W)SFMA 485W ATX (Version 2.0)

Cooler: Vantec Spectrum Fan Card

CD/DVD Drive: HP DVD640i 16x Internal DVD±R/±RW Double-Layer inc. Lightscribe

Case/Tower: Thermaltake Dream Tower VA3000BNA Tsunami Black

Price = £948.35

I therefore have £51.65 of my budget, my question is what should I spend this on, to improve my Graphics, CPU etc. What do you think?

Any comments about the whole system as well would be great as this is the first computer I have ever built1 Is it ok?

mattyc_92 16:38 08 Aug 2005

Well, why do you need 2 large hard-discs for? Just keep the 200gig one and ditch the other.

You could spend the £50 on a USB Pen Drive (you can get about 1gig for £50).

Leeleemu 19:09 08 Aug 2005

Because Im going to do Animation and Special Effects so i need alot for my animation I will be doing!

I already have a MP3 Player which can act as a USB Pen Drive and can carry up to 40 gig.

Totally-braindead 19:39 08 Aug 2005

Its just a suggestion but I'd be tempted to either get a dedicated external hard drive or a second CD Rom or better perhaps a DVD Rom. I prefer to have individual optical drives in case of drive failure so I can still use the computer without the hassle of rushing away to try to find a shop that sells a replacement, the other idea is why not just put the cash towards the software which I presume you will want for the PC or towards Windows XP presumming you don't have it already.

Leeleemu 20:24 08 Aug 2005

Yeah taking your point in, I think I will opt for a second DVD-Rom. Is the computer specification there powerful enough for Multimedia and do you think it is a good system in general?

Stuartli 17:05 10 Aug 2005

A second HDD could always be used for backups.

Just a small point. Whatever the final specification you decide on, by this time next week it will have been superceded...:-)

It's the way of the world with computer systems...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?