Fighting the scourge of scareware

peter99co 17:58 01 Oct 2008

Just a heads up.

click here

961 19:15 01 Oct 2008

As a guy who started with an Amstrad in the late 80's and learned much of what he know's courtesy of Bill Gates I've arrived at a situation where I trust no one on the net unless I either know them or their company

I don't trust e-mails, phone calls, letters or calls from outer space!

Last week I got a call from a well known credit card provider who rang to ask if I would confirm items purchased on my card. "No," I said, "I'll ring you back"

The call was genuine (as were the purchases, it was just a check) but you really cannot be too carefull

Just make sure that you have a good virus checker a good firewall and a couple of spyware detectors and that you keep them up to date

p.s. I've had a guy from Ghana on to me today offering 10% of £5m as well as an offer of a Rolex for peanuts. However, I've had several e-mails from financial institutions which were entirely genuine

Not easy, is it?

birdface 20:42 01 Oct 2008

Not before time.Why should folk profit by destroying what is not theirs.Maybe there will come a day when we no longer need security programs.But of course I am only dreaming.It is just a case of theft if we steal from anyone we have to pay the price why not them as they are doing it on a large scale.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?