Fibre Optic Providers...

RobCharles1981 00:01 20 Mar 2014

Sometime by the end of this month my exchange which will be enabled under the superfast cymru program will be enabled to receive Fibre Optic.

My Present ISP is Titan ADSL which have been excellent, I'm looking for suggestions on who to go with?

I've asked on a Broadband Forum and they have come up Zen which look very good.

Currently I'm playing around £20pm with Titan, and the Customer Service and Support have been First rate any problem arises they fix it there and then.

So what are your thoughts?

Many Thanks Rob

hastelloy 08:08 20 Mar 2014

I've been with Zen for several years and went fibre optic last October. Their UK based customer service is excellent.

I pay around £42.50 per month for broadband, line rental and all calls except mobiles and international. I know I could get cheaper but not with the reliability and service that I get now.

RobCharles1981 10:42 20 Mar 2014

Hi bjh

I've heard bad things about Talk Talk so I will be staying well clear of them.. Zen looks like the way forward. Any views on BT Infinaty?

wee eddie 12:06 20 Mar 2014

I have Infinity, the Salesman promised a speed of between 38 & 40MBps, he was absolutely correct, I usually get that. Although, mid morning, it can drop as low as 8MBps.

Whole experience has been very satisfactory. On my experience, I would recommend them. USwitch currently shows me as the fastest connection in the neighbourhood

spuds 12:10 20 Mar 2014

Perhaps I can offer some advice about TalkTalk, because I have been with them from the start, including the days of previous mergers from Lineone to Tiscali then TalkTalk?.

I agree that their overseas help can be absolutely dire at times of need, especially if you are starting from level one from a seemingly Asian call centre, when you might receive a parrot fashion level of service of 'if its not on the screen'. But go to higher levels,including UK contacts and things seem to change dramatically. At least Dido Harding the CEO of TalkTalk does respond to customer's complaint in a rather swift fashion.

Finding out who is probably best in your area, try a Google search for something like Broadband Choices and similar help and comparison websites.

hastelloy 18:14 20 Mar 2014

bjh.

Someone who lives not far from me is with TalkTalk and constantly complains about frequently losing his connection and the poor response he gets when he complains. Perhaps if he complained higher he'd get a better response.

I consider £24 per month to be well worth the hassle-free constant connection and easy to reach first class help and advice.

rdave13 21:26 20 Mar 2014

Have a look at Plusnet.

RobCharles1981 21:36 20 Mar 2014

Thanks for the input guys keep them coming!

sunnystaines 07:56 21 Mar 2014

i am with talktalk best deal cost wise, no problems with internet fibre optic.

as mentioned as long as you do not need their dire indian call centre its a good deal, been with them ages with the phone package too.

surprised they have not moved it back to the UK.

spuds 09:14 21 Mar 2014

Just had a word of warning about TalkTalk. There is a price rise pending,plus change of package deals for new and old customer's, so perhaps best to check now, because what one ISP does now, the others are sure to follow!.

hastelloy 16:39 21 Mar 2014

bjh.

It's good to heat a positive but most reports I hear of TalkTalk, BT, Sky, Virgin etc are very bad ones so I'm happy to pay for reliability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?