Feel conned by Amazon Prime "scam"?

simonjary 16:53 17 Feb 2015

There's been a lot of complaints about Amazon "fooling" people into signing up for £79/year Amazon Prime memberships.

We've published a "How to cancel Amazon Prime" feature.

Any forum members discovered a Prime surprise on their statements or actually think Prime is a good deal?

morddwyd 19:23 17 Feb 2015

I have already posted on this somewhere.

I was a Prime ember for several tears but at current rates, and not using any of the music or video streams, it is no longer value for money for me.

I had no problems letting it run out though.

mole1944 19:41 17 Feb 2015

It's not a scam,use the golden rule "RFI"

**READ FLAMING INSTRUCTION**

It plainly states it's a trial and has to be cancelled,read understand and then see if you want prime,i personally do not but that's just me.

lotvic 20:17 17 Feb 2015

Useful info for those that have signed up and now want to cancel :)

My son signed up, they make good use of the media services and he thinks it good value.

mole1944 03:47 18 Feb 2015

Thanks Rumpelteazer,looks like Miss Picker who taught me to read did a good job,i'm 70 by the way.Why oh why do people just click click click,then moan they are locked into something they don't want.

simonjary 06:46 18 Feb 2015

I do agree that you shouldn't be caught out if you read what you're clicking. But somehow I tripped into the Prime trial before Christmas – maybe I was rushing. Amazon customers are so used to clicking away at their usual places that one moved button (and I'm pretty sure I clicked in the usual place for Free delivery) can trick you into signing up. The No Thanks button is much smaller than the Yes Please, dressed up as a standard button.

mole1944 07:03 18 Feb 2015

As i say click click click,like a lot and your committed,read first your fault no trickery just you failing to read and understand instructions properly.

simonjary 11:05 18 Feb 2015

As I said, I agree that Amazon does warn customers, but there's enough annoyed customers (reported across Sunday Times, BBC, Guardian, etc) that it is clearly not as obvious as it needs to be.

I don't regard myself as an online shopping newbie, quite the opposite, and yet it caught me out – a moved button and a click too quick. Moving a Free Trial button to the same place as the previous Buy Now is cynical, no?

Yes, my fault - but Amazon has a duty to its customers to make its Free Trial offer even more obvious if so many are being caught out.

mole1944 18:30 18 Feb 2015

Looks like a lot of customers have poor reading and understanding what they read,let this be a lesson to all who have done it.

morddwyd 19:20 18 Feb 2015

"but there's enough annoyed customers (reported across Sunday Times, BBC, Guardian, etc) that it is clearly not as obvious as it needs to be."

I try to keep myself reasonably well informed, but this is the only place I've seen it reported.

(No, please don't post links, I'm quite sure I can find them with Google, but that is not the point)

rickf 21:09 18 Feb 2015

There is no scam. I am a member and knowingly sugned up to make use of services. People just forget to contract out when the free trial expires. The same people then say its a amazon scam. C'mon take some resposibilty for yourself!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017