Faulty Pc but they are asking me to...

krtrent 16:20 16 Jun 2014

Hi there,

I brought a PC about 6 months ago. It has never been stable so I finally got in touch with them and now we are currently in the middle of sorting the problems out with me fixing and testing what they can't do remotely.

We have found out that its the Overclock they did to it in the factory that is the problem. I paid for that overclock as it was closer to the spec I wanted.

The next step will be to turn the overclock down so its more stable but that's not what I paid for and it is not the spec I wanted.

To be fair, we haven't done that yet so I can't say for certain what results we will get.

If we can't get close to the spec I chose and paid for, am I within my rights to send it back to them? I'm not necessarily after a refund. What I'd like is for them to replace the appropriate parts.

Thanks Ben

Pine Man 16:40 16 Jun 2014

I would be surprised if a PC manufacturer would guarantee any over clocking carried out at your request.

morddwyd 19:35 16 Jun 2014

Depends a bit on the original contract.

If they agreed to provide you with a computer to your spec, they have obviously failed to do so.

However, if you asked them to tweak it, it depends if there is a disclaimer in the agreement.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:27 16 Jun 2014

Pine Man, morddwyd, many custom PC manufacturers offer over-clocking as a selectable option, especially on gamer oriented machines.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:28 16 Jun 2014

I suspect the problem is either inadequate CPU cooling or the CPU voltage, at full speed, is set too low.

Pine Man 07:02 17 Jun 2014

many custom PC manufacturers offer over-clocking as a selectable option

I stand corrected.

nickf 06:32 18 Jun 2014

Ben , you will find that most custom PC builders will say that they can overclock " upto " a certain frequency, I bought one with my cpu clocked to 4.5 , had a problem 18 months later , cpu replaced . New one would only go to 4.4 . It may well be worth sacrificing a a little speed for a stable system .

Kevscar 08:29 18 Jun 2014

cyberpower offer 2 options safe overclocking or max did you get that choice, if so what did you take

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone