faulty item restocking fee?

nuke 16:44 12 Mar 2006

I bought an item from a well known company and the item I bought developed a fault within the 12 months warranty period.

The company confimed the fault and since they no longer sell the item have refunded me minus 20% of the original cost (they also didn't refund me the postage cost to dispatch the item to me although they have said thy will refund me the postage cost I incurred to send the item back to them provided I give proof.)

The 20% charge is a restocking fee according to the invoice but clearly the item is faulty so should I have been charged this?

Thank you.

Smiler 17:14 12 Mar 2006

I would say a definate no. It's not your fault that they have had to refund and they certainly can't say they sre restocking as the item is no longer available. They should have offered a similar replacement. May be worth contacting OFT about this.

Who are the company anyway?

Belatucadrus 17:14 12 Mar 2006

No. They should have replaced the item under warranty, the fact that they can't and elected to refund you is down to them. Restocking charges shouldn't apply.

rmcqua 17:35 12 Mar 2006

Absolutely not. A restocking charge should only be payable when you are sending something back as unsuitable or because you made a mistake in choosing.

spuds 17:39 12 Mar 2006

Restocking fees are illegal.

Contact Consumer Direct click here for further advice and guidance.By going through this route, you should have clear instructions on how to approach the company that seem to lack basic consumer rights knowledge.

nuke 18:00 12 Mar 2006

Thank you all for replying.

Dear smiler I'd prefer not to name the company although the company has many compalaints in this forum (It isn't Watford electronics aka Savastore, Mesh ....)

I'll contact the company during the week to see if they have refunded me properley since I have queried the refund with them.

Spuds said: 'Restocking fees are illegal. '

Is this for certain?

I've never had this problem before but I have read terms and conditions were some companies do
charge restocking fees.

Search google: click here

WhiteTruckMan 19:10 12 Mar 2006

I always thought that re-stocking meant anything to do with putting a particular item back into the inventory, i.e. re-packaging, putting back on shelfs, re-entering into a stock database, re-labelling and just about anything else that a retailer could think of to justify a charge of some kind. but if its faulty then its going back to the manufacturers, or at least back up the supply chain. they arent (well, shouldnt!)put it back on sale again.

But I have to wonder-no doubt someone here will know-if a full refund is in order if an item is about at the end of a (extended?) warranty. e.g. If a 4 1/2 year old laptop costing £2k expired with a 5 year warranty surely you couldnt try getting 2k back?

WTM

spuds 19:29 12 Mar 2006

Yes, it is illegal.

Straight from HMG, the official paper (some heavy reading) click here

More simplified answer, about half way down click here

Mikè 19:51 12 Mar 2006

I thought the distance selling returns rule only applied during the first week.

ajm 20:43 13 Mar 2006

company charge a restocking fee if someone returns goods that they dont require or if the goods do not have a fault and the customer "thinks" the machine is slow for them and they want to exchange for a higer specs machine?

Tim1964 20:54 13 Mar 2006

ajm,

That's when the distance selling regs come in, as long as it's returned quickly. The buyer has to pay the return postage in this case but not a restocking fee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?