F-Secure Internet Security 2006

Jim Thing 12:28 18 Oct 2006

My ISP is offering F-Secure Internet Security 2006 for a monthly subscription of £2.49 following a 90-day free trial. The price if bought direct from F-Secure is £34.95 per year.

I'm currently using an all-freeware setup, i.e. Comodo firewall*, AVG antivirus, Spybot S&D, AdAware SE Personal and SpyBlaster.

I'd value opinions as to whether F-Secure is worth paying for, compared with what I have at present for free.

TIA
Jim
---------------
*I'm having a problem with registering the Comodo firewall but will start a Helproom thread about it.

Mike D 13:09 18 Oct 2006

Jim
Just picking up on your Comodo problem, I also had difficulting in registering, until I re-read the email that I received from them. The activations key was buried in the text of the message. Hope this helps.

Mike

961 15:15 18 Oct 2006

F Secure produces a top rate virus checker which is available for around £20 or free if you have internet banking with Barclays

The add ons are also good but not essentially better than others both free and paid for

Some say it can slow down old or underpowered systems and it also needs careful configuring to avoid conflict with Zone Alarm

I use Avast free virus checker which I find better than AVG but both are perfectly satisfactory. I also have Zone Alarm, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Spyware Doctor

The only one I pay for is Spyware Doctor. About £15 p.a

Jim Thing 15:21 18 Oct 2006

Noted. Many thanks.

VCR97 19:20 18 Oct 2006

When I tried to update my F-Secure Internet Security from 2005 to 2006 I had big problems. When I contacted F-Secure they told me that I should remove Spybot and Ad-Aware. They said that their anti-spyware is based on Ad-Aware. They also said that I could re-install Spybot after F-Secure was installed! I gave up and installed another product.

Jim Thing 19:35 18 Oct 2006

Thanks VCR97. I think I'll probably leave F-Secure alone. After all, I'm happy with the software I use at present — and "if it ain't broke..." as the saying goes.

I'll leave the thread open for a little longer though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?