External Storage for Backups

NETCHRIS 19:17 19 Sep 2007

I need to buy a reliable external storage device (a hard drive I suppose) that won't break, and is well built and perfect for backing up my whole PC. My max price is 70 pounds and I have a 320 GB hard drive so I need something with a lot of gigabytes of storage. So like 200 - 320 or something.

I also need it to work with Windows Vista. Thanks!

I know the My Books from Western Digital are good but they aren't compatible with Vista yet and only the expensive versions are.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:26 19 Sep 2007

500Gb for £68 and a good make....click here

G

Noels 19:33 19 Sep 2007

LaCie about the same price as quoted by Gandalf and upwards never had any problems. I used to use one of the well known back up programmes until a friendly IT expert said what for "Just Drag and Drop" thats now what I do its so easy.
Regards
Noels

Noels 19:34 19 Sep 2007

click here

Noels

Stuartli 19:53 19 Sep 2007

Just bought one of these Seagate 400GBs for £57 from Scan:

click here

Neat, compact and easy to set up (new version of the backup software on the CMS website available as well); incremental backups just require a single push of the button.

Some places are selling this Seagate for £80 or, for the same £57 or so, a 300GB version...:-)

g0nvs 21:50 19 Sep 2007

Or you could wander down to your local Maplins and get a Freecom 320 gb external USB 2 drive for £59.95

[email protected] 22:23 19 Sep 2007

ive the seagate one linked by stuartli,the added bonus for this brand is the seagate disc wizard.This contains image cloning software (powered by acronis)free

download from
click here

ened 17:34 20 Sep 2007

Recently I purchased an external Hard Drive from Seagate.

In the box was an idiots guide to setting it up: ie: Plug into the mains (39seconds)!!!

But apart from that no instructions/ manual whatsoever. I assume you are supposed to get your info from their website but, as usual, the questions I needed answers to were omitted from their faqs. In addition I found it very difficult to find how to 'Contact Us'.

Having said all that the drive itself is just what I needed and, so far, has worked fine.

One more thing which is relevant is that my Seagate came pre-installed with the software and when you double click on it in My Computer it just tries to install the software. To access the files you have to right click and 'Explore'. This is a small niggle.

Stuartli 17:46 20 Sep 2007

>>But apart from that no instructions/ manual whatsoever.>>

My Seagate external drive came with a proper manual, high quality USB lead and mains adapter and even a continental type mains lead; the CD-ROM with it included the Disk Wizard mentioned by *THE RAVEN* and I used it in preference to Windows Disk Management.

I also acquired the latest version of BounceBack Express backup software from the CMS website.

The original supplied worked OK, but the interface looked like something resembling a Wild West saloon exterior and incredibly dated in appearance.

By the way, the drive came pre-formatted but with FAT32, so I naturally opted for NTFS before partitioning it.

Over the years I've had internal IDE hard drives ranging from 850MB, 1.3GB, 1.7GB, 20GB and my current 60GB WD, which is four years old.

Apart from the 850MB, which came with a system, all have cost on average around £65 each.

To be able to buy a 400GB drive for £58 is, as David Dickinson would say, "as cheap as chips"..:-)

ened 18:46 20 Sep 2007

Well I probably got the wrong product for my needs but I bought a FreeAgent Pro and all that was in the box was the main unit, the idiot's guide and the usb lead - not even a firewire cable!

The only point I wanted to make was to check it out because I will never again buy something like this which has software pre-installed. Apart from anything else the Memeo software leaves much to be desired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?