External Hard Drives

Alan T 14:11 02 Feb 2008

Hi,
Help needed in choosing an external hard drive. For backing up data and making data portable when going to friends. I have a 500gb drive in PC so was considering a 500gb External HD. Don't know if some makes more reliable or easier to use than others. Advice needed. I have had a look online and found these four drives. Please comment on these and any other drives you have info on.
Many thanks.

Maxtor click here

Seagate
click here

Western Digital
click here

Freecom click here

Stuartli 15:27 02 Feb 2008

Seagate and Maxtor are paired - I have the 400GB USB version of this model:

click here

which cost me £53 at Scan as a TodayOnly special.

Very compact, simple to use and with a pleasing design.

Bonafide 20:31 03 Feb 2008

I recommend the Freecom. I have x2 500gb external Freecom drives. I had the first one 8 months before buying the 2nd. I have never had any problems except needing to reformat them when they first arrived. Also aesthetically it is the most pleasing external HD I've ever seen, sleek silver metal casing with freecom engraved on the top. Every other external harddrive I have seen is wrapped in plastic.

Also to note is that is has no fan, so there is no noise, except the occasion seeking sounds.

[email protected] 20:39 03 Feb 2008

Ive a seagate which has been faultless touch wood.
You can save a fiver
click here
You can also use the seagate disc wizard(powered by acronis)for back up images f.o.c.

[email protected] 20:39 03 Feb 2008

seagate disc wizard
click here

grumpygramp 13:01 04 Feb 2008

I have had a Maxtor for several trouble free years . Recently added a Lacie which includes back up software going cheap at Amazon uk .

bionicle 20:19 04 Feb 2008

Totally agree with Bonafide. I have a 500GB Freecom which works very well, is silent, small and very good looking. Quality kit.

David4637 21:12 04 Feb 2008

Are your external drives mains powered or powered from USB port? I get the impression that mains powered is probably better, particularly as I have a lappy. Thanks David

Stuartli 23:06 04 Feb 2008

My Seagate is USB linked, but mains adaptor powered.

I suspect that the majority of external hard drives are the same.

Woolwell 23:35 04 Feb 2008

I don't think of my Maxtor OneTouch as being particularly portable. If I chose again I would look for one with its own on/off switch.
The Maxtor is reliable but I'm not that fond of the software but you don't have to use it.
Maxtor is owned by Seagate.

peter99co 11:06 05 Feb 2008

Does it have to be 500 because WD do a PASSPORT usb powered hard drive that is great for portable as it is so small and good looking.I got a 80 gig and its big enough to hold what I need to move about. I know they do bigger if reqd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?