External hard drives.

six-h 15:05 17 Aug 2006

Has anyone any advice on the pitfalls of purchasing the above. I'm in the market for one about 320GB to use for storing photos, video, and essentially for imaging my drive as a means of backup.
Do any come with software like Ghost or true image as a package? Are there any bargains to be had that are good quality?

sirreaoscar 15:27 17 Aug 2006

I went to staples and bought a 80GB Western Digital just before Christmas, it was cheapest i could find it even looking at dabs & others on the net.

See if there are any offers on or see what the weekend papers have on special offers over the bank holiday weekend. PCWorld always seem to have a sale on at these times.

wee eddie 15:43 17 Aug 2006

So you will still need some other form of Back-up.

cycoze 16:08 17 Aug 2006

I have a Freecom FHD-3 , they come with Acronis True Image, and there not the cheapest around, i liked them for a number of reasons and would suggest anyone have a look at them... click here

I personally dont use the Acronis on mine and have kept it as FAT so it can be used on older OS and MAC if needed, it`s just used as backup storage, have added one to this years Christmas List again.

Spark6 16:10 17 Aug 2006

wee eddie

What medium would you suggest?

INMHO a USB external hard drive is probably as reliable as any, especially when it is switched on only when it is actually being used.

Like sirreaoscar I purchased an 80GB hard drive from Staples, Western Digital 29/05/05, for £49.99 and have had no problems to date.

wee eddie 17:59 17 Aug 2006

Just make sure that you have more than 1 copy of each picture and not on the same drive. Any failure and you've lost the lot.

Spark6 20:01 17 Aug 2006

wee eddie

Please do not be so negative and give us your recommendations for the best storage mediums.

anskyber 20:53 17 Aug 2006

I have one of these click here I use it with Acronis true image and the pair of them are really simple to use. The Lacie has an external power supply so the heat inside the unit is very low. Like you I back up pics but the Acronis is for double security.

wee eddie 22:57 17 Aug 2006

I am not being in the least bit negative.

I have been using PC's since the early/mid 80's and have only had 1 big loss when my back-up medium proved faulty and I picked up a Virus from my daughter's school e-mail system, around 96/7 time. It was the home PC so not a lot became corrupted but when I tried to restore from the back-up, I failed.

I had not been verifying the copies I kept.

So if you are keeping Photos or whatever, have a second system. It could be a second HDD, kept off site, or burn to DVD 4 or 5 times a year.

It's not likely that your PC and the HDD will fail at the same time, but they might get stolen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?