External hard drive needed ,help me choose one

Bike-it 22:25 06 Sep 2009

I'm looking for an external hard drive so i can back up my laptop, i saw this on ebay
click here

is it a reliable brand or does anyone here know of a better on.

mr_simon 23:58 06 Sep 2009

I would tend to avoid no-name hard drives, they are an important component and one of its primary purposes is to be reliable. For this, I would usually go with Western Digital, Maxtor, Buffalo and other well known brands. The jump in price to buy a name brand drive is not much, check out this page (and the following pages):

click here

mr_simon 00:04 07 Sep 2009

Forgot to add that Ebuyer have a very smooth returns policy, if there are any problems you won't have too many headaches dealing with Ebuyer, whereas Ebay is only as reliable as the seller.

100andthirty 06:30 07 Sep 2009

even PC World have some decent offers on IOmega or Western Digital portanle hard drives. Look on their web site and reserve what you want to collect in store for the cheapest price (usually), but there are a couple of options at least for 320GB for £49.99.

Amazon, and Play.com (but be much more careful about other vendors selling under their banner)also have a first class reputation as do eBuyer

g0slp 07:58 07 Sep 2009

I got a 1TB unit from Tesco for under £70 - nice piece of kit.

Quiet Life 14:45 07 Sep 2009

mr-simon If you read the spec. you will see it is a Samsung drive with three year warranty.
For a USB driven drive it looks pretty good and not having to mess around with a power supply is a bonus.

Bike-it 19:04 07 Sep 2009

So is it worth while buying the hd from ebay or should i look at another one else where.

GaT7 20:15 07 Sep 2009

I buy stuff off eBay, but only good quality, branded stuff after being stung by rubbish at the beginning.

As this is really unbranded - even with a Samsung drive, I'd think twice though.

Why don't you buy your own enclosure & drive & DIY (quite literally!) for LESS: click here & click here. Add something more to get it up to £50 for the free delivery option.

More options at click here. Make sure to match the enclosure & hard drive type - SATA for SATA preferably. G

Spark6 20:42 07 Sep 2009

Agreed. The problem I have had in the past with pre-assembled USB drives is that they can be a pig to take apart if and when they develop faults. I buy only cases and loose drives for that reason alone, I prefer the case to have an independent power supply BTW.
The ebay advert did not impress me, broken English!

Bike-it 20:49 07 Sep 2009

Thanks for your help.

I seen these two which one do you think

click here

click here

GaT7 21:41 07 Sep 2009

Yes, that PCW Iomega one looks much better.

"I prefer the case to have an independent power supply BTW" - I know what you mean, but then it loses its true portability factor. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone