External DVD and DL Writer

sheila.weston 17:52 05 Sep 2006

I wish to buy an external DVD writer which also works with Dual Layer disks and would appreciate some recommendations.

I am puzzled about the big price range which these have and cannot see what the more expensive ones have, which the cheaper ones don't. The Lacie D2 appeals, but am I paying extra for Lightscribe disk printing software, which I don't need?

I have been browsing this forum as well as GOOGLING and am getting even more confused!

Many thanks for any help.

rômanab 15:46 06 Sep 2006

Well I have an internal LG drive and it's excellent so I'm sure you could do a lot worse than click here

It's had several good reviews.

rômanab 15:53 06 Sep 2006

It also does this...

"However, what really sets this DVD writer apart is its rear S-video and RCA input jacks. You can plug in an analog or digital camcorder and, with the help of the included One-Touch software, automatically convert and burn the camcorder video to a DVD with the press of a button."

Taken from click here

Now I want one :o)

sheila.weston 13:07 07 Sep 2006

Just my luck - they are out of stock! I am not too good on the jargon, but think that this means that it works with DVD-RW video/data disks which have been recorded off the Television?

sheila.weston 14:08 07 Sep 2006

There is one at click here.

One point - my mesh computer is Intel[R]Pentium[R] 4CPU 2.8GHz 1GB of RAM, whereas the system requirements at the bottom of the page says Pentium III.

I am sure that i should be able to use it OK. What do you think?

Komplett should be OK to order from, shouldn't they?

rômanab 15:07 07 Sep 2006

The spec they give is a minimum requirement so a P4 will be more than ok.

Never used Komplett but they seem ok judging from the reviews at click here

sheila.weston 10:48 08 Sep 2006

Many thanks, Romanab. I hadn't realised that 4 CPU meant Pentium 4. Obvious now! I'll mark this thread as resolved - Ebuyer are getting some in in a week, they say, so I'll order one then.

Thanks again.

sheila.weston 12:18 20 Sep 2006

The LG Burner has now arrived! Before I try to install it, I have to find which USB is USB 2.00 - It doesn't matter if I plug into the wrong one at first, does it? I know I have two x no 1 and two x no 2.0. Device manager doesn't help.

Have you had any failures with disks? Which makes do you normally use?

Also, I know I am being a bit dim, but the box is plastered with headings about 'video to Disk' and 'AV capture'. I may get into this at a later date, but essentially I want it for backing up large amounts of image filesetc onto DVD DL - and possibly transferring them to a new computer in the future. Could you confirm that this is OK.

Thanks again.

sheila.weston 16:43 20 Sep 2006

No need to reply to first and third questions. I have now tested it on a cd and dvd - perfect.

Only the question of which, if any disks to avoid remains!

rômanab 20:39 22 Sep 2006

I have never used DL discs so can't comment on them but I have tried several and they have all been ok.

I have just finished a pack of 25 cheapy discs by "Mr DVD" and they were all ok, although how long they'll stay ok I don't know as longevity is still pretty much unknown.

Most advice I have read though recommends using 'named' brands such as Sony or Philips as they are meant to be manufactured to a higher standard. I have read good things about Verbatim so I have just bought 25 of those but have only so far used one of them.

rômanab 20:41 22 Sep 2006

Should read 'have tried several single layer discs'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?