External Drives

NarcosisBoy 16:55 04 Apr 2006

Folks,

Am looking into buying an external hard drive for back up storage, around the 250GB mark. I have looked at the dabs website and have looked into the reviews and most seem to be people with very poor reviews i.e 1 star or those who give it 5 stars. Anyone any experience with External Drives and any advice you can give to me?. The Lacie Drive from dabs seem to be the top seller - anyone find these drives useful?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Graeme

Diemmess 17:08 04 Apr 2006

Why not choose your own HD and buy a powered case?
There are many different cases available (with their own power supply) and USB connection.
The total cost may be less than buying a readymade.

NarcosisBoy 17:12 04 Apr 2006

Diemmess,

Cheers for the info but I know not alot about that sort of craic so am jsut willing to buy a 'ready made' hard drive - its simply to store my thesis on as sbviously I am terrified of loosing it and 3years down the pan. I know nothing about powered cases etc so am just willing to pay the extra cash for a ready made.

Many thanks
Graeme

Diemmess 17:14 04 Apr 2006

I have a readymade Amacom which cost the earth ages ago and has a Western Digital. That works fine.
More recently I bought a SWeex case from a local shop, popped an old Maxtor 40G in it an it behaves fine as a portable HD for huge amounts of data, sorting out friends or family in trouble!

Diemmess 17:21 04 Apr 2006

We crossed!
Honestly, if you have a computer store large or small nearby where you can trust the salesman to understand your need, then that seems the way to go.

If he is an obliging type he might even fit things together for you, but either way, readymade or DIY, the mechanical skills are simple don't be scared of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?