Extended Warranty Query

MikeySchwarzn 23:59 29 Feb 2008

I'm planning on getting a Sony Vaio laptop. As I'm both clumsy and a bit paranoid I'm planning on getting a 3 year cover plan for it.

Could anyone give me advice on which seller offers the best extended warranty coverage? A few companies sound good, but my last warranty was with PC world and there was a lot of difference between the promises and the service.

Thanks, M.

Taff™ 07:02 01 Mar 2008

Depends what sort of cover you want. If it`s for accidental damage or theft I suggest you ask your house contents insurer because they will cover that at a fraction of the cost in the high street. If you want cover for a hardware failure in years 2 & 3 or general support then I suggest you stick with the supplier`s cover.

jack 08:19 01 Mar 2008

As with Taff household insurance should cover theft or damage - check out yours.
As for extended Warranty?
This is really a non starter.
Warranty does not cover software or your incompetence[or mine] So it is essentially Hardware failure.
The statute manufacturer/supplier warranty is essentially a year- so your '3year'plan is really only two years.[1st year is included Free on purchase]
So do the sums- The price of premiums for the period is a good way to the price of a replacement after the 'Free' 1st year and after 3rd year if the premium had been in a savings account - a good way to its up to date replacement rather than a repaired old crock.

MikeySchwarzn 14:37 01 Mar 2008

Thanks guys. I'll just update my regular insurance. I guess the last experience had impinged on my better judgement (no more bargain compaq's from PC World for me!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?