Explain please... Tiscali

SG Atlantis® 15:46 06 Aug 2006

We started off on Tiscali Max @ £17.99, we were told we'd get upto 4meg on our line.

The first few weeks we got above 5meg! Then it dropped down to a poor 1.5 meg and it has always set around that, never going above 2meg. So.....

Now we have downgraded to 2meg unlimted for £14.99 our speed tests are constantly showing around 3meg!

I have used several tests including click here to verify my results.

Harpur 16:19 06 Aug 2006

did you joina as a new customer or "upgraded"?

Harpur

Forum Editor 16:24 06 Aug 2006

has been with us since the days of analogue modems, and is a constant source of debate. ADSL downstream speeds - for that's what you're talking about - will vary considerably, and often from day to day, depending on the contention rate. The more people that are online at any one time, via a particular gateway, the greater the chance of a speed drop.

Nowadays, if you are in an area of high-density living (flats, housing estates, etc.) the chances are that you'll be contending with another 40 or so people for access to a limited bandwidth, and you'll see slow downstream rates.

It might be that,it might be a Tiscali hardware problem, or it might be a combination of both those things.

SG Atlantis® 16:35 06 Aug 2006

I started off on the max service as a new customer and then when it stabilised I was only getting 1.5meg should have been "upto" 4meg.

That provoked me to change to the upto 2meg a while ago, now I get 3 meg, well hovers around 2.8meg.

I just don't understand how I can be getting faster speeds on a lower package.

Not complaining though just curious, and I'm not gonna ask Tiscali! lol

Jimmy14 16:35 06 Aug 2006

do you take the reading from where it says your current bandwith reading is 8.10mb or below were it says " which means you can download from our servers at 1.02mb????

SG Atlantis® 16:38 06 Aug 2006

where it says "your current bandwidth reading is:"

I also checked it on adslguide and bandwidth place and a few others google threw up. They're all showing around the same.

Stuartli 16:41 06 Aug 2006

Might be wise to keep quiet...:-)

Stuartli 16:42 06 Aug 2006

It can take Tiscali a little while to upgrade/downgrade speed changes.

In fact, earlier this year when I returned to 2MB from 1MB, the change still hadn't been made after six days. A quick phone call and the changeover was forthcoming.

Jimmy14 16:44 06 Aug 2006

So because it says my current bandwith reading is 8.10mb when I ran the Tiscali Speed test, does that mean I'm supposed to be on 8mb Broadband?

Stuartli 17:18 06 Aug 2006

Well it is this month that Tiscali is introducing "up to 8MB".

Try the click here speed test two or three times.

Jimmy14 17:43 06 Aug 2006

that test tells a different story. I get downstream, 200kb,600kb,400kb but last night when I tried it I got 1.9mb which is about right for my 2mb Tiscali unlimited connection. Can you explain this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?