expensive Hotpoint fridge door?

p;3 16:11 24 Mar 2007

managed to break the small door flap of my Hotpoint fridge

doesnt look much ..but the COST to replace it??

over £25

they kiddin' me or what?

Stuartli 16:23 24 Mar 2007
  p;3 17:05 24 Mar 2007

why does a piece of plastic with four knobs on it cost so much?

spuds 19:48 24 Mar 2007

Same applies to filter screens in dryers, very pricey for what they are. Try the local recycling depot for spare parts.

p;3 17:17 30 Mar 2007

'in the interest of comsumer safety these parts should only be fitted by a suitably qualified person with the machine disconnected from the mains supply'

ooppsss>.>>>>>>>

jack 17:40 30 Mar 2007

Gone then were the days when our HotPoint Iced Diamond [1962] broke its butter keeper flap, and the replacement came free of charge?

Spare parts of any sort motor Cars/Electrical
are costly for what they are- simply because the sheer cost of keeping allsorts of little bits'n'pieces in bins in a huge warehouse - just in case- must be staggering. Imagine your fridge door flap may have been in stock, in its bin, in that ware house for 3 /4 years or whatever just in case you broke your flap.
Equate that with the bin space floor rent cost of that ware house and the staff to maintain and distribute it.
That is why so much now particularly in the household goods world have no spare parts infrastructure.
A £250 recliner chair 18 months old in January this year snapped at the swivel - declared unrepairable by the retailers repair agent.
The retailer refunded part of the cost as a gesture- and I got my local car service man to weld it.

p;3 17:47 30 Mar 2007

I did try to claim it on the service agreement I have with them ...I did say I did try....

Diemmess 18:24 30 Mar 2007

......... spares cost space and stock control.

A couple of years back a built-under freezer in the kitchen had a door seal fail.
Ordered a new one from ATAG which I fitted but cost me about £70 for a synthetic rubber seal. It is still working... somewhat justifying the appalling cost.

Back long ago in another life, the cost of a replacement bowl for Halothane on an anaesthetic machine was about £35.
Some sharp-brained colleague spotted that a Rover petrol filter replacement bowl was an exact match, (and in those same days) cost about 35 shillings.

jack 09:05 31 Mar 2007

Diemmess
Price differentials on seemingly similar items is not uncommon ,add the magic word 'Professional' to an item and see the price lift by incremental percentages.
Many years ago when I was into making my own photographic gizmo's- a small can of 'Photographic Black' paint cost 17/6p- a same size can of matt black from the same source cost 5/-

In another area in the 1970s I ran a SAAB- when one day I went to the parts dept- here was the parts man sitting down with a pile of Unipart items in their plastic bags - ripping off the card collars and substituting SAAB ones- all ready marked with a 50% uplift in price.
From that day hence when ever I needed bits[fortunately not often] I took note of where similar parts were used in mainstream vehicles.
SAAB in those days mechanically were an amalgam of bits and pieces from all over - Triumph engine/AC Delco electrics/Lockheed brakes etc.

Stuartli 11:26 31 Mar 2007

>>SAAB in those days mechanically were an amalgam of bits and pieces from all over>>

Most cars' components are from a variety of suppliers.

If you want to discover, for instance, a good source of OEM spare parts for French, German and Swedish cars for very much less than main dealerships charge, see:

click here

jack 12:16 31 Mar 2007

Nice one Stuartli
Not that it is currently of any use for me
but one never knows - does one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?