Excellent Free Utiltiy

gardener 19:26 07 Feb 2007

I have found this free app. to be so useful, you may like to give it a try.

click here

gardener 19:27 07 Feb 2007

utility,that should read.

Totally-braindead 19:33 07 Feb 2007

Can I ask what it does as there appears to be no mention of it on the page you link to other than a link to the downloads?

gardener 20:13 07 Feb 2007

Well,you select a folder using the programme and it alphabetizes (if that's the right word)all the titles of files in that folder,e.g.I have a folder for Word documents and to recall a document all you have to do is click the tray icon and you are presented with the alphabetized contents,from there you can open the required document.
Well I find it useful anyway.

Totally-braindead 20:22 07 Feb 2007

If you find it useful then fair enough but you can do it windows already without using a secondary program. Thanks anyway.

gardener 20:28 07 Feb 2007

How do you do it in Windows?

Totally-braindead 20:35 07 Feb 2007

Well lets say your in Pictures in Documents and you want them in alphabetical order, you click VIEW ARRANGE ICONS BY and choose Name for alphabetical, or by size or by date etc.
This is for XP by the way.

gardener 20:46 07 Feb 2007

But this is a one-click application available from the system tray,it saves trawling through Windows Explorer which,in my opinion,is in desperate need of a revamp.Windows Vista still retains this outdated,lumbering application, despite it's trendy look.

Totally-braindead 20:51 07 Feb 2007

Ok. Maybe others will like it too.

GaT7 22:55 07 Feb 2007

This link explains it click here - it's more about finding a file quickly....

I think I've achieved the same by creating a new toolbar in the Taskbar. To do this, right-click on the Taskbar > Toolbars > New Toolbar & choose your particular drive/partition/folder. This is what my C: drive looks like click here. It's quick & easy to get to the file I want, & to arrange files/folders alphabetically all I need to do is right-click in the list & select 'Sort by Name'. G

GroupFC 09:43 08 Feb 2007

I might have missed the point here but surely all you have to do is open the folder in windows explorer, click on "name" and it will sort all the files into alphabetical order (similarly clicking on date will sort them all by date order).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017