ExcaliberPC -Is this company OK?

irp 20:12 25 Mar 2008

Hi All, hope this is the place for this question.

I quite fancy the Asus M50Sv Notebook, and i have found it at a seller called ExcaliberPC ( American, i think?), I'm a possible first time online buyer and would like to make sure; one that the seller is OK, and two the product is ok for UK use.

Please could you advise me on how i check a seller is a good one.

Thanks
Paul

GaT7 20:56 25 Mar 2008

Well, it seems a top of the range laptop, with some good reviews & has a price to match (the UK one anyway)!

A few Google searches brought up this site on ExcaliberPC click here, with over 350 user reviews.

About buying this laptop from the US to be used here, there are a few things to consider:

- VAT/customs charges - how much is it likely to be, & how much will you be really saving overall?
- You may be able to get an 240v adaptor here that'll work in the US machine. May be best to ask in the Asus UK forum click here about this & its availability & price.
- I'm sure I've missed something!

All the best. G

mikeben121 21:30 25 Mar 2008

For something like a notebook I would not buy from outside the UK. As well as all the charges (you will have to pay VAT and customs charges as well as a handling charge for the carrier to collect these charges) you have the issue of service etc.

Check with Asus in the UK that they will honour the warranty. If it is truly a global warranty then it may be worth it, You really need to know what the customs charge will be, VAT will add 17.5% on the whole charge.

irp 18:01 30 Mar 2008

I would like to thank Crossbow7 and mikeben121 for their advice, sorry its taken awhile to reply back, my stepdaughter has just had a little baby. On the advice received i will gather more information, it may be, i wait awhile and a Uk supplier will have this particular notebook on sale.Thanks again Paul

GaT7 18:25 30 Mar 2008

They have them over at CCOnline click here. 13 in stock at time of posting this.

Any particular reason for going for it? There are some very good Acer laptops coming out in May, discussed a bit in this thread with links click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?