Evesham 2600+MKR or Evesham 2800+TR Wonder?

User-731D3F8D-D8EB-4CD3-BAC35C722C57B032 00:18 25 Nov 2003

Anyone please help

I can't decide between these two computers. The spec is quite similar except for the processor, size of hard drive and graphics card.

One is an Athlon XP 2600+ and the other is an Athlon XP 2800+. Is there a noticeable difference and is it worth the upgrade?

The MKR model comes with a 120Gb IDE (8Mb buffer) hard drive. The TR Wonder is 160GB serial ATA hard drive. What's the difference? Do I need the extra 40Gb?

Lastly, the graphics card in the MKR is a Radeon 9600 128Mb DDR Graphics. The TR Wonder is a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800SE All-in-Wonder graphics with TV-out & DVI. I know nothing about graphics cards. I read somewhere on another thread that SE cards cannot be trusted as it's not the full version.

I can upgrade to the Radeon 9600 256Mb VGA/DVI-I/TV-out for an extra £15+VAT. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? What difference does the 256Mb make?

I don't intend to use this computer for games but would watch DVDs, digital photography and may dabble in some video editing.

Sorry for so many questions but I can't choose between the two and would really appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks

bfoc 18:00 25 Nov 2003

It depends on how imporant the TV and video imprt functions are to you. The 9800SE AIW is great if you want to be able to watch TV and also import video from a number of sources. It has had a a number of reviews even in the SE version which are fairly good. They do make the point that the 9800SE AIW is not as impressive as an ordinary 9800 for 3d games.

My daughter actually has the 2600+MKR and I was really impressed with it. I can't tell you though how they two graphics cards compare and have had no luck yet in finding out!

Basically though I would suggest that if you want the TV and video import functions then that should steer you to the AIW, if that is not so important then a bit more research might be needed to compare the graphics cards in more detail.

wags 18:11 25 Nov 2003

I see that the price difference on the Evesham web site is £76 inc VAT.

For your intended purposes I would say the 2600MKR would be fine, although if you are heavily into video editing the larger HD of the 2800 may be useful. Having said that, 120gig is alot of space to fill!!

I would stick to the 128mb graphics card as in tests(Toms Hardware), 256mb does not appear to make any noticeable difference. As you are not into gaming, I would't worry too much about the card - even a 9200 would probably be OK....

Good luck and happy shopping !

Joshdog 19:44 25 Nov 2003

I had exactly the same question myself a couple of weeks ago. In the end I decided to go for the 2800 TR, mainly because its spec is slightly better, that I am interested in the TV aspect now but it is always available if I really want to explore it in the future and that in relative terms there's not much of a difference in price.

In terms of upgrades, I would recommend you take the third year on-site warranty extension though - the Evesham waranty is regarded as one of the best around and it's a snip at £29 + VAT !!

Finally, if you have one close to you, visit an Evesham store. I visited one close to me and the advice they provided me was very honest and thankfully jargon - free

Many thanks for all the responses. I was a tad worried that I gone a bit overboard in reiterating the spec and am very happy that some very nice people have responded to my query.

I'm taking joshdog's advice and will be off to Evesham this weekend to check it out.

Cheers!

art42 02:13 26 Nov 2003

there is very little difference between the two processors if there both barton cores,in fact they are almost identical and will have the same max clock speeds, the big difference is in the graphics cards,your better off going for the MKR and buying a usb video capture card, its cheaper and the end result will be the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?