Ever heard of Silminyard.com ?

Boris {B<) 18:04 19 May 2009

click here

Anyone heard of them, or used them - or are they just another scam operation ?

mikef. 18:17 19 May 2009

If you look at the contact us site they are based in America according to the phone contract and the only other contact is an email with no other contact details, with this lack of information, which in this country is illegal, I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole

I have purchased an MSI wind through the site and the order process seems legit - yeah they are using open source checkout and inventory software but many new start-up wholesale sites are, the checkout process uses Paypal so even if they don't send the product I can get the money back and if not I will get a £300+ netbook for £150!

I am game - only because it was Paypal and they show up as a "Verified Business" on the US version of companies house and within Paypal so have registered an office and accounts address which most scammers won't.

I will keep you updated as to what the outcome is but am happy in the knowledge that as Paypal have accepted them as a verified business that they will recover any funds paid out - as they have for many in the past.

My item has changed to the shippng status so should find out what happens in 10-20days, I may even make my next post on my new wind!

If anyone else has any experience with this company then fill in the quick on this forum and post - I did it all from my iPhone on the train on way home so only takes a mo.

Good luck to all who shop with Silminyard.com and may we hope it's legit - if not Paypal will have quite a few refunds at thier expense!

Iain

MAT ALAN 20:11 21 May 2009

I,m always wary of a website that has no "about us" link to it, seems strange that prices are shown as GBP and contact us is U.S. there is no mention of how items are dispatched or returned..

this is from conditions of use "Provide 24/7 customer support on weekdays." 24/7 i thought included weekends, basic error...

not going to go on (there are niggles all over the place0 but i fear the worst for anybody that deals with this site...

Boris {B<) 20:38 21 May 2009

Iawa - you are far braver than me.

I await your further posting with great interest.

dinovelvet 13:36 22 May 2009

Iawa,
I presume this company is legitimate then considering you haven't put in a compalint?

I'm just looking at the prices, they seem too good to be true.

@dinovelvet - I have not recieved item yet, the status only changed to "Shipping" yesterday when the payment cleared but it all seems ok so far - I have yet to be sent the tracking number but the status for "Shipping" on the site says "The order has been sent to the packing and shipping team" so once it changes to "Dispached" it should give me a tracking number.

@all - As I say I will keep everyone posted when the status changes and if nothing is recieved in the 20(business days so by Thurs 18th June) then I will reclaim from Paypal.

Iain

In replying to someone who messaged me personally to this (will respect thier privacy and not post details) I found that actually Silminyard.com use click here as a source who I have seen before but they don't ship to UK, so they are just acting as a middleman between China, US and UK.

I found this out by going to: click here

just because I find it a pest to make small updates like the above on this forum (and it takes ages to load when mobile please follow me on twitter (click here).

I will still make any major updates here (like if it arrives!)

Iain

rovrt 17:51 22 May 2009

i ordered from here no item received, claimed money back through paypal

@rovrt - The web site was registered and created on 13th May 2009:

Registrar: 35 TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD
Dates: Created 13-may-2009 Updated 13-may-2009 Expires 13-may-2010
DNS Servers: NS3.DNS-DIY.COM NS4.DNS-DIY.COM

So even if you ordered the day the put the site up you would have only waited 10 days to see if something arrives, plus Paypal don't give you the money back until after 20 days so if you have claimed the money back you ordered from them 10days before they ever existed - impressive"

From Paypal's dispute centre: "If you're unable to resolve the dispute, you can ask PayPal to investigate by escalating the dispute to a claim within 20 calendar days of the date the dispute was opened.

If you are opening a dispute because you have not yet received the item, we suggest that you allow some additional time for delivery because this is a cross-border transaction. You might consider checking with customs to make sure that your package is not being delayed."

Just thought I would point all this out to the other people using this site - try to ignore rovrt's post (I am not saying it is not a scam yet but I will give it the 20days because I appreciate that something comming from China via USA could take 20days so I will continue to keep you posted until then.

Iain

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?