EU Registry Services - it's a domain name scam!

fudge 20:11 11 Apr 2004

I've had a very convincing letter from a company called EU Registry Services in Cambridge (UK) telling me one of my domain names is due to expire and I should pay them £60 to renew it.

My domains are all managed by 1&1 so I was surprised to get this letter (sent to my home, so I don't know how they got my address!) but it seems it's quite common because 1&1 have put a warning on their website about it.

The EU Registry website actually says they charge €60, not £60 as in my letter so they're trying to rip me off twice!

Nevertheless, for businesses or anybody who doesn't check their mail carefully, this letter could easily be taken as a genuine request and be paid. Not only would you be paying well over the odds but you'd be transferring your domain to another company without realising it.

The company may be genuine but their tactics definitely are not. Be warned.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:22 11 Apr 2004
  fudge 20:33 11 Apr 2004

GANDALF <|:-)> Thanks for that link - as I suspected it's not new. Glad to see Trading Standards on the case ( even the police apparently).

Forum Editor 20:48 11 Apr 2004

some while ago. There are several such fraudulent schemes doing the rounds, and many people have been caught out.

fudge 21:07 11 Apr 2004

What's more worying though is how they got my home address.

Presumably Nominet hold all the data in the UK but I thought that was supposed to be secure!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:54 12 Apr 2004

The owners of any domain can be accessed by anyone.

G

Forum Editor 02:03 12 Apr 2004

your full postal address is on the web for anyone to see. Many people (including me) protested loud and clear when this move was first mooted by Nominet UK, but it did no good.

The same applies to other domain registrars, so you have no hope of owning a domain name anonymously unless you nominate someone else as the registered holder of the name.

spuds 14:23 12 Apr 2004

If you are unsure about your domain name etc, then contact click here for further advice. This also applies, should you want to check out a active or non-active domain name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?