Entry level gaming laptop help...

Centrefix 09:04 08 Dec 2014

I'm looking to buy a couple of laptops for my kids for Christmas. My knowledge is limited, probably dangerously so, and has the potential to waste money.

My girls play The Sims a lot on their current old laptops and have a lot of expansion packs installed. Their machines are painfully sluggish, and the time has come to replace them.

Other than The Sims, it's just school work (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.) and surfing - but I'd quite like them to have something decent that will last the next few years of their gaming life.

I'm thinking i3 or i5, dedicated graphics and plenty of RAM, however I cant afford to go over £500 per machine.

My limited knowledge has brought me to this...

ASUS X550CC-XO016H £429

Intel Core i5-3337U Dual Core Processor 15.6" HD Screen Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit 6GB DDR3 RAM 750GB HDD DVD Rewriter Dedicated GT 720M Graphics X550CC-XO016H

So I was just looking for a little reassurance on this purchase, any tips, advice or even steering in a different direction towards something else.

Thanks in advance.

Jason.

spuds 13:07 08 Dec 2014

This type of question gets asked more frequently on this forum, and there might be an answer in the archives, some very recently.

Have you considered looking for some form of advice from PCW/Currys who have a fair range of demonstrator's on display. You can always come back here, and provide any information to what they might suggest.

Recently I purchased a Levono G700 laptop from Argos, that might be suitable for entry or higher level gaming. Perhaps someone familar with gaming, will have the answer to that question. When I purchased this machine, it was at a far reduced price, and I notice on checking today, the price seems to have increased. Argos laptop range click here

rdave13 18:37 08 Dec 2014

Have a look at this YouTube video. Looks the same machine but the one in the video has only 4GB ram.

Check the specs carefully for the two you're buying. I think they come with one USB 2 port and one USB 3 port. For adding any external drives or keyboard/mouse etc you might find it necessary to buy a powered usb hub later on unless you're happy with just two ports.

1]: [click here

rdave13 18:43 08 Dec 2014

On 'Save On Laptops' they have two USB 2 ports only but has a HDMI port which is good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?