Email security, not sure if i should complain

bta1 10:09 29 Dec 2006

i was sent an email from a theatre advertising a new years eve party. In the TO address bar was my private email address, and about two hundred other peoples. They were all private email addresses. Obviously the admin chap that it came from, just whacked all the addresses on the email and sent it out bulk.
But isn't that a breach of DATA PROTECTION. Now all these strangers have my email address and i in turn have theres.

I'm thinking of complaining to the theatre because it's annoyed me. I was just wondering if i was correct.

Diodorus Siculus 11:21 29 Dec 2006

I don't know if it is a breach of data protection and even if it is, it's not a very serious one.

I still think that it is worth mentioning the fact to whoever sent the mail and inform them of the beauty of BCC! It happens at times to me and I simply ask the sender of the email to put details in the BCC field in future.

dth 11:45 29 Dec 2006

yes - you should point out that sending emails in this way is bad manners

Colin 13:55 29 Dec 2006

I also get this from companies that should know better. I imagine it's a case of giving the job to someone who doesn't fully understand what they are doing. It's even worse when one of the recipients replies to the e-mail and you also get their reply. I'm not sure about the data protection issue, but I've used e-mails I've received in this way to determine people's e-mail addresses!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:54 29 Dec 2006

There are much more important things in life to worry about. TYour home address is freely available at any PO or library so I would not worry about it.

G

Diodorus Siculus 18:13 29 Dec 2006

"Your home address is freely available at any PO or library"

How so?

Kate B 18:27 29 Dec 2006

On the electoral register, which is a public document.

Diodorus Siculus 18:30 29 Dec 2006

Kate B

Thanks; I did wonder. My details are not there however as I am not a citizen of the UK and not entitled to vote.

Diodorus Siculus 18:31 29 Dec 2006

PS liked your article on pink laptops!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017