email anywhere

griffo 11:01 30 Aug 2007

Two or three times a year I go to a remote cottage (R&R) where there is no landline for phone/internet connection.

Whilst I'm reluctant to 'dilute' my escapes, I really could do with having email access. I realise there are such things as Blackberry etc. but I believe it is also possible to buy a card to fit into a laptop to receive satellite signals?

Can anyone advise me on this please?

techie4me 11:13 30 Aug 2007

You can buy Vodaphone wireless cards for a laptop that means you can surf on the move.
It would depend on if a signal can be picked up!

griffo 12:35 30 Aug 2007

Thanks - had a look, not cheap is it?

Is it possible to somehow link one's mobile phone to your laptop and use it's signal/pricing to connect to email/internet or am I dreaming?

techie4me 13:01 30 Aug 2007

Not sure?
Blackberry would probably be a cheaper option though.

griffo 08:43 31 Aug 2007

Interesting, thanks for that. How does the costing work when using email/internet downloads, do you have a monthly tariff arrangement? The Vodaphone card costs £120 + VAT, then £8.50 + VAT for each 24 hour session, which makes it very costly.

It looks like the PDA/phone might make more sense if it will combine mobile phone with email/internet (and work through the laptop) at an affordable price.

When connected to the laptop, does the laptop behave as if it's connected to a router?

Sorry for all the questions!

a recent thread fyi
click here

griffo 11:19 31 Aug 2007

Thanks for that - looks good. If I understand right, you have to buy the phone then buy the tariff on top @ £7.99, £12.50 or £22.50 per month?

Is T mobile the only provoder offering this service?

not sure about others,but if
you sign up to the web n walk plan,the phone maybe free,the £7.99 is in addition to this.
Griffo,send me a pm ive got more info somewhere ill dig it out.

griffo 14:10 31 Aug 2007

very kind, thanks - have sent message.

I have recently purchased a sony ericson 850i phone on Pay as you go and can receive my emails from my virgin media isp. Also internet @ £1 per day connected.

griffo 22:04 31 Aug 2007

I believe the £1 per day internet only gives you 15mb free, it's £2 per mb after that? Did you have to pay for the phone?

would it connect to a laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?